New machine with Lion...can I upgrade other macs?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Chiquon, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Chiquon macrumors member

Hi All

I bought a Macbook Air last November with Lion preinstalled. I have a couple of other Macs (minis etc) and am wondering if I can upgrade them to Lion, given that I have just "bought" a license?

I've tried checking for purchased Apps on all my macs (including the new Air) but Lion does not show up, therefore I can't see a way of installing it on other machines.

Any thoughts?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

use the install disc that came with the machine

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll have to buy Lion to upgrade your other Macs.

Lion Macs don't come with install discs.

4. Chiquon thread starter macrumors member

A bit of a strange one isn't it? If I buy a new mac with Lion installed then I can't use that "license" to install it on my other macs, but if I buy it as a standalone product then I can.....weird!

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No different then it was in the past or with Windows. If I buy a new Dell with Windows 7, I can't upgrade my other two year old machine to Windows 7 from Vista using the new one's disc. Nor can I update my 2007 iMac to Snow Leopard using my 2011 iMac's discs.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Hmm.

Since the Mac App Store is now the source of all system software, except for stuff preinstalled, does it show as "installed" when you fire it up on the new Mac under the same user account as the old macs?

I though if I bought something in that store I could use it on several Macs...or is the licensing agreement different for Lion?

7. Chiquon thread starter macrumors member

Nope, nothing showing except the iLife suite which also came preinstalled - no sign of Lion!

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

That's interesting. If I open the App Store on my hackintosh (running 10.6.8) and look at the Purchases tab, I have the option to download Lion. My MBP came with Snow Leopard but was purchased after Lion came out, so I downloaded Lion from the App Store for free.

[​IMG]

There are methods available to create an installation disc for Lion. I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss it here...?