New MacOS 10.12.2 Fixes Trackpad Palm Rejection Issues on MBP 15 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soulreaver99, Dec 13, 2016.

1. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Just installed the update on my 15-inch MacBook Pro 15 Inch with touch bar and it looks like the palm rejection and accidental right clicking for those who use the bottom right hand corner of the trackpad for right clicks has been remedied.

It has been one of the most annoying things ever on this MacBook Pro and I hated the trackpad till now as it seems to be fixed. I've tried to recreate the issue on purpose and now it doesn't keep right clicking any more. Hopefully this isn't a fluke...

2. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

What bugged me more than temporary trackpad firmware issue (hey every whiner who is put back to his place!) – why even use bottom corner for right click?

I tried many times and I still don't understand what's wrong with 2-finger click unless you're coming from an old physical button layout AND can't / refuse to learn anything new.

3. soulreaver99 thread starter macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

Maybe two finger click works for YOU and thats fine. Other people like myself like that bottom right hand corner.

4. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

If I was the only one raising this question I wouldn't even bother – as a hardware-related person I was trying to find an answer for a long time. There're several reasons why 2-finger tap is objectively better:

1. You don't have to click, which reduces load on your finger joints
    2. You don't have to move your arm further away to reach the corner, which is also more ergonomic
    3. I case of bottom-right click, you can't move your cursor far away to the right or the bottom because the click must already happen close to the corner

Even a slight delay from 2-finger tap doesn't seem like a big deal.... or is it the reason why? Do you have inconsistent readouts when tapping with 2 fingers? Would you want this gesture to be more customizable (i.e. distance and time allowance between taps)? Or is it only related to muscle memory and inability to overcome it (like for many others they can't stop using 2 taps and come back to bottom buttons)

5. azntaiji macrumors member

I'm in the bottom right hand corner crowd. But I have resorted to control + click for my right click needs.

This wasn't an issue though, until the new massive trackpad was introduced.

6. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

I used to use bottom right corner for secondary click as well, until the new trackpad released. Now its so far away I decided to go back to two finger tap. The primarily reason I hate two finger tap is because there's a slight delay before it actually registers as a secondary click, but I realized you can just do a two finger click to get it registered immediately. Now I'm a happy two finger click user.

7. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I never noticed the difference between the tap and click until I read this lol

8. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I've loved two-finger click ever since I got my first MBP in 2007. Never cared to use any kind of tap though, as erroneous 'taps' registered frequently enough to be annoying.

9. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

I personally hate the old mechanical click noise, but it's much different on force touch trackpads. You can even do silent clicking!

10. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

2 finger right clicking is obviously a better, faster, more convenient method and I use it. However, there is a good reason why some prefer clicking the bottom corner: habit. It is more similar to mouse right-clicking (click on the right side of the mouse with just one finger). Most people even call it "right click" and not "secondary click" which is the official macOS name for that action. Seriously, does anyone call it "secondary click"? :D

A lot of people have difficulty accepting new usage methods - this is why the immensely useful 3D Touch/Force Click is not really used that much by most of the people. In fact, I think the secondary click is off by default on both the trackpad and Magic Mouse and I remember reading how people had trouble accepting it when it first came to the Mac.

But, with that said, 2 finger tap/click is the best way to do a secondary click.

BTW, does anyone use option+click anymore?

11. sn00p macrumors regular

It's also fixed the two finger swipe for scrolling. Prior to the update, it would mostly work but often would move the cursor mid swipe and when scrolling through a web page fast the cursor would end up outside the browser window.

Haven't seen the cursor move once with with this new release.

12. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

It was always an issue, but the new trackpads have made it more noticeable.

And if you think about it - Apple's decisions in the past made massive trackpads possible and usable. Add a trackpad of this size to most Windows laptops, and it would be impractical. But combined with force-click, gestures, 2-finger right click, 2 finger scrolling, etc. - they could easily add large trackpads to the benefit of everyone. Love the new size.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    3-finger drag that I still love is also a bit more usable now (at least it feels like it). It still makes some errors when fingers are not horizontal on the trackpad, but I think it works better.

13. Hyloba, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

Hyloba macrumors 6502

If you uncheck 2 finger double tap smart zoom, your 2 finger tap right clicks will be instant.

14. akwarner macrumors member

Me either. Been using Macs with the two finger method since they began offering it.

A.

--- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2016 ---
    Wow! Two lessons in five minutes. Both of which are appreciated. Thanks for the info.

A.

15. gigapocket1 macrumors 65816

I will give this a try... I never use the two finger double tap.. I just generally do the 2 finger pinch or the double tap zoom