New MacPro + 8800GTX?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by b0redom, Jan 8, 2008.

1. b0redom macrumors regular

Hi All,
    Anyone know if I can drop an 8800GTX into the new MacPro? I don't care if it won't work in OSX, but if it will, all the better.

I already have an 8800GTX, and would prefer to get a new MP with a low end Mac capable card, and use the 8800GTX for Windows.

Cheers....

2. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

Yes it would work but you'd have to play around with what slot you use.

Also, now with the new Mac Pro out with the 8800GT I smell some creative mods for flashing GT EFI BIOS onto a GTX or some such nonsense.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I believe the 8800GTX uses a different core (G80) than the 8800GT (G92); if true this means that you won't be able to flash an 8800GTX to the Mac (to use in OS X) - though the card will work in Windows under BootCamp. It does mean that any G92-based card could potentially be flashable - like, say, the GeForce 9800GX2 :drool:.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

now that would be nice :D

5. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

The core difference is minimal, same architecture only difference is a die shrink.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

If that's the case the ROMs might be compatible enough to flash a GTX, but if the reference board designs differ by too much it wouldn't work. Flashing is always a reverse-engineering hack, so the more similar the hardware is the better.

7. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

thebeephaha

This is true, but.. only time will tell I suppose.

8. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

You could try the new GTS with 512 Mb. It has a G92 core as the BTO 8800GT of the mac Pro, consumes less power than the GTX and is sometimes a bit slower, sometimes a bit faster than the GTX

9. ceres macrumors regular

The G92 Part has a fully functional video processing unit (pure video hd in nvidia talk) whereas the G80 is crippled in that regard.