New MacPro Case Design?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Oct 22, 2008.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

I love my macpro design, so I cant imagine that he could make apple to make it better, any proto? I found this:

I dont like the white color... titanium is better

[​IMG]

2. mathcolo macrumors 6502a

I think that looks horrible. Just... absolutely horrible.

3. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

If i had to make a guess, id say that the new mac pro will retain the same shape i.e. size & legs / handles. but it will have a black glass front and slot loaded super drives. the sides will still be silver and have the apple logo but the top will get the same cheese grater holes. I would make a concept but im not that good at photoshop.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Unless Apple have developed some magic cooling system the case can't be smaller. I think at this point it is likely it will get a slight remodelling to consolodate the new Mac image across all products, but I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't bother.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What part of

"It's a freaking workstation. No one cares what it looks like."

don't people understand?

That is truly hideous, anyway. Ugh.

Two things:
    1. How is any air getting in?
    2. There won't be any FireWire 400.

6. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

While slot-loading is nice, I kinda like the 'old school' trays. Also, you can do smaller size discs and being a pro machine it should be as adaptable as possible to acceptable media types.

I think the only addition needs to be stickers on the front advertising the video card, '1GB RAM!' and '320GB Hard Drive!', and maybe a 'Vista Approved' sticker to round it off.

That mock-up is disgusting. That's more of a headless iMac/Mini Tower design, but still needs help. Lots of help. I think the MP can stay as is.

7. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

MacFail Pro.

The mac pro is fine the way it is. The next rev will gain displayport.

8. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

You know what's funny about this statement?

People were saying this about the Macbook Pro, and guess what happened to that.... It got a case redesign, and it got black trimming.

Though some people don't care about what the Mac Pro looks like, Apple does, so you bet there will eventually be a case redesign.

BTW yes the mock up is hideous

9. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Just another bad photoshop job.

They can't stack the 4 internal hard drives like that, it would overheat quickly.

10. Bartman01 macrumors regular

That and the upper right HD access is blocked by the case.

11. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

At the rate Apple is headed these days, I wouldn't be surprised if there even is a next revision. They may just discontinue it altogether and focus 100% of their efforts on going after the consumer buck and leave the pros high and dry. :eek:

12. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Now that is much more likely. Next time you go to an Apple store, check out where the Mac Pros are positioned: In the farthest back corners.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

That case is way too small for a workstation. The Gainestown-EP is going to use slightly more board real estate than the Harpertown due to the LGA 1366 socket. :rolleyes:

Besides, the Mac Pro needs more drive bays anyway. :p
    After all, Tallest Skil has it right. Workstations should be built for function first, looks second. :eek:

Definitely not the best place to locate them, but somehow I don't think most pros buy from the store. Just my opinion though. ;) :p

14. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

hmm, I agree with you that eventually it will get a case redesign, but not at the moment. What was older though- the old mbp case or the mac pro case? Hasn't the mac pro had the same design since the powermac G5 days?

Hmm, I do think they will update the specs on it eventually.

Hah, so true. most people don't want a Mac Pro. But there is a demand that needs to be satisfied.

15. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Well look at the logistics of an Apple Store; if you want a Pro-Machine you ask for it and they'll take you back to it. The General walk-in consumer though doesn't need it, what they do want they see up front - Laptops and iMacs. If, during your iMac salespitch you ask about more power, you take a few more steps to the less crowded area to be shown the Mac Pro. Placement is just fine.

With how much adaption MacPro's and Final Cut Studio is gaining, Apple won't be dropping the Mac Pro anytime soon, and although the comments are generally made to get a smirk, the joke is so last week :)

16. inigel macrumors regular

inigel

And I'd like to know how they managed to fit that fan next to them! I know Apple tend to be brilliant at making things small, but I didn't thought they could be that great!

17. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

Another problem with the hideous mock-up is that it won't even be able to turn on. It's missing a power supply.

18. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

design fail. how are the 2 top hard drives getting any air flow? theyll get too hot wedged up in the corner like that next above 2 other hard drives. how is the PSU going to fit next to the RAM bay there? its too tight.

19. Thunderbird macrumors 6502a

Thunderbird

If apple decides to upgrade the chunky cheesegrater design soon, I hope they borrow some ideas from the HP Blackbird or the Voodoo Omen. These machines are the bleeding edge in sleek tower design.

20. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

You can get slot load drives that read the 8cm discs. Never tested the Macbooks to see if they do but the drive in the Nintendo wii is case in point as it accepts gamecube discs for backwards compatibility.

21. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I think the Aluminum design of the G5/Mac Pro is the sexiest case design ever. It's also very efficient and cools well. I just see them making the front/back screen anodized black or something.

As for the OP's photo, it is a pretty bad PS rendering. The PSU is in the bottom still and there are 4 vents in the front for air but that looks about it? Where's air at going for the processors/pci slots/video/HDDs? The HDD's position is in the same area as the G5s except there are 2 more to the left of them. I wonder if there are openings/channels in the side panels to bring in the cool air? It does look like Mini Mac Pro. :)

22. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Reminds me of the "QuickSilver" G3 PowerMac.

[​IMG]

23. Exman macrumors member

I might get flamed *puts on flame retardant suit*

But I want something like these: :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

25. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^sorry *flame*

youll never see Johnny Ive design something like that. lights, clear sides and pointless fans are for home built computer mods and gaming machines.