New MacPro coming soon!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Og Oggilby, May 21, 2007.

1. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

Well, I couldn't stand waiting anymore - I just ordered a new Dual Quad MacPro with the ATI Radeon X1900 XT :)

With my track record, that pretty much guarantees that the new MacPros with Stoakley-Seaburg and 2007 Graphics options will be out in 15 days :(

2. Lord Nerdos macrumors member

Congratulations

Enjoy your new purchase. I was one of those who was caught in the quandary of whether to wait or to go ahead and buy for a long time. I waited from November 2006 until April 2007 until I cracked. :eek:
    With apple too busy with the iphone to even get Leopard out of the door, how much effort do you think they are going to put into hardware revisions? :rolleyes: We may not see a new mac pro for a while yet.
    You made a good choice to go with it now. :D

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

congrats!

i use computers all day, every day. harder than most. i don't care how much better the new stuff is, the MacPro is so freaking fast at everything that i don't think anyone will even notice the change... except the forum trolls maybe.

great choice to buy. get more memory when possible. you've got one amazing machine on the way. :) :apple:

4. chelsel macrumors 6502

I read the subject line and thought a new model was on the way!! I'm on the fence about ordering a 2.66 quad Mac Pro right now... It would be my first Mac coming from hardcore Unix/Windows environment as a developer and amateur photog...

Please reassure someone on the fence that I won't regret going to the Mac Pro...

Also, I'm a little disappointed that there's no Front Row... all work and no play...

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Check this out :)

6. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

I did that a while back, got it to work and then when i rebooted my machine the next time it didn't work. Checked all the settings and they were correct.

I'm just gonna wait for 10.5.

7. Og Oggilby thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the support Lord Nerdos! According to FedEx it will be here on the 30th :)

Thank you! Can't wait to put it to work. I have 8GB (4-2GB) from Crucial ready to go :)

chelsel - I do 3D graphics (and commercial digital retouching) for a living. I'm PC based because of the 3D programs I use and have really researched jumping to a Mac with bootcamp. I couldn't find anything close to the MacPro's performance in a PC for the price. I feel very good about my choice at the moment, and I have a tendency to over think computer purchases and then second guess my decisions.

The bottom line is that the MacPro is way faster than my current system and nothing will change that. There will always be something faster in the future, no matter how long you wait! OMG, FedEx just pulled up :eek: be right back...

:D :apple: Woohoo, it's here and the box weighs a ton! I am so jazzed. FedEx got it here in 2 days from China! The Estimated delivery was May 30, 2007 by 10:30am...

Thanks, got to go...

8. chelsel macrumors 6502

Just called my Apple store and they have the quad Mac in stock and they have the ATI X1900...

Where did you order yours from? If I buy from an Apple store I'm looking at full retail plus 6.5% tax...

Cliff.

9. fredr500 macrumors regular

If you upgrade at the apple store you will pay full price for the graphics card ($400), vs the $249 upgrade price online. At least that's what they told me at the store.

Fred

10. TheFuzz macrumors regular

congrats on the new mac. we ordered an ocho at work on wednesday, should be here sometime next week with fcs2. can't wait.

11. Og Oggilby thread starter macrumors regular

Cliff - I ordered it online from Apple with 1GB of ram. Free shipping but had to pay tax. I liked being able to customize the system. You can save a lot by buying ram from Crucial (or elsewhere online).

12. Og Oggilby thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks and congrats on yours :)

I was thinking about getting fcs2 (I use Adobe's video products) but I don't do enough video to justify the cost - yet...

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

[snippet]

If you live in the US your MacPro came from Fullerton,Ca.

That's where mine is coming from and it has the same specs.
    Shipped yesterday and due the 28th.Too bad that's a holiday.

14. Og Oggilby thread starter macrumors regular

According to the FedEx tracking page it was shipped from SHENZHEN CN, to ANCHORAGE, AK, to INDIANAPOLIS, IN, and then to EAST BOSTON, MA. Is yours new or refurbished?

15. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It's new..

Weird.

16. Og Oggilby thread starter macrumors regular

Are you on the west coast? It seems strange (to me) that Apple would make the same model in California and in China...

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'm on the west coast.

nevermind.You got the new 8-core..That would come from China.I only ordered the 4 core..So I'm sure they have them in a warehouse here in the states.

18. Og Oggilby thread starter macrumors regular

19. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Heh, I guess that just about says it all. Glad you like it! I'll be in the market for one myself in 6 months or so. I'm sure I'll feel the same way. :)

20. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

You've got yourself a nice computer, congratulations!

I appreciate that, thank you.

21. seany916 macrumors 6502

22. awmazz macrumors 65816

Just joined this forum so this is my first post. I've been waiting to buy as well and have been reading all the Mac Pro in this forum. Like everyone else, I faced the dilemma of waiting or not for the next revision.

After a lot of thought, I decided to buy an 8 core last week after concluding most of the apps I use now are universal binary. Delivered from Shenzhen to Australia in less than a day and half, then five more days (there was a weekend in between) to get the last 20 kilometres from the airport to my place.

The first thing I did after setting it up was do a quick render test in Modo compared to my old G4 Dual 1.25. The Mac Pro rendered the same scene 14 times faster.

My decision I think was justified. Even if there is a new revision released in the next 2 to 6 months, the boost would maybe make it 16 times as fast as my old G4, which isn't that big a jump from 14, while the cost of the new type of RAM would be exhorbitant just as when the Mac Pro first came out (more than the mac itself). But now the RAM for the current Macs has dropped markedly in price, so I could add a hefty 8GB for just USD650 from transintl.

What also helped me decide was not being keen on buying a first revision model after my experience with a rev1 Macbook, so I would have waited until rev2 of the new Mac pro anyway, so make that another 6-12 months wait.

And yes the transintl ram (4x2GB) is working fine. The Mac Pro is working fine. In fact, the quality and build and how well it performs is simply astounding. I'm extremely happy with my purchase and this machine will last me for years. I believe I've bought the best of a final revision, rather than risk a not-so-good first revision like with my Macbook which turned out to have several issues (battery, dicolouration etc).

PS. I chose 2x of the basic nvidia cards as I plan to upgrade to any new whizzbang card when it comes out. The nvidia cards work fine too.

23. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Sounds kinda like my track record:
    New laptop comes out less than a month after I bought an iBook.
    New MacBook Pro comes out exactly two weeks after I buy my MacBook Pro.

But congrats on the new Mac. :)

24. flappo macrumors regular

my record's even worse

i bought a quadra 840 av ( in '94 ) and a few weeks later out came the first powermac !!

so basically i sent £4k on someting totally redundant

oops... :)

25. Hmac macrumors 68020

Also by buying additional hard drives from NewEgg. OEM WD Caviar 500 gig for $120 and $120 for a 500 gig Seagate 7200.10, which is the same drive that Apple sells for $329 and came standard in my machine.

Resellers don't charge the sales tax unless they have a retail brick-and-mortar store in your state, as Apple most likely does. I ordered my 4-core 3.0 ghz with one drive and 1 gig RAM from B&H Photo. They have an excellent reputation for customer service and reliability - actually have a substantially better score at resellerratings.com than MacConnection does, for example.