New MacPro... Now In Search of Speakers...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by flyingscott, Jan 17, 2008.

1. flyingscott macrumors regular

flyingscott

So, I'm waiting for my new MacPro to ship and thinking about speakers.

I have always had junk speakers for my machine(s)... But now that I plunked down close to 5k on a MacPro and 30" ACD, I think I should get some decent sound to go along for the ride.

Requirements... small enough for my desk, under 300.00.

Suggestions?

2. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

3. musicforme macrumors member

musicforme

If I had $300 for speakers, I'd go for these: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/htm200/htm200.html

These speakers are more geared for surround sound, but have a small enough foot print to possibly fit on a desk. You will need an amp for them though.

I've owned Ascend Acoustic's 340se (front, center, right) for about two years now and love the sound they produce.

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

try these perhaps:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010370060&bop=And&Order=RATING

lot of speaker for your buck.

depends on how extreme you want to get, the Z5500's are an insane deal and offer a power punch of opportunities & give you great audio reproduction.

(personally i have 2 sets, one for my :apple:TV set up - since the area is so small and no need to spend thousands on a good audio set up, and i have these also hooked up to my MacPro system via Optical)

but thats my .02 if you want just stereo speakers, try the other logitech sets there, great customer service and good quality hardware.

hope that helps!

:apple:

5. Random Chaos macrumors member

Speaking of speakers, I've got some decent 5.1 speakers already but they are analog. I'm wondering if anyone knows of an inexpensive decoder for the Mac Pro digital optical out? Under $50. I've not been able to find one at a reasonable price (everything I've found makes it cheaper to just buy a new USB based 5.1 Speaker sound system).

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

7. Toups macrumors regular

Are you looking for something limited to the desk; i.e 2.1/3.1 channel speakers, or do you mind a couple cables to support the additional 2 rear channels with stands or wall mounts?

Having 5.1 surround sound does not have any benefits if the speakers are not placed correctly.

8. Lumpydog macrumors 6502

9. antzona macrumors regular

antzona

10. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Oooh! Me likey! :D Any specific optical anyone recommends?

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I don't have any speakers currently, and I think I'm going with the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 system. They sound so good!

I definitely prefer them over the Logitech Z-2300 set.

I should add, these are only for music, I seldom play games on my Mac.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I think the LaCie firewire speakers are pretty good and don't require a big subwoofer. They're pretty cheap too.

13. Fortis macrumors newbie

+1...I have a set of Z-5500s hooked up via optical to my Mac Pro and they are great!

14. tribe3 macrumors 6502

15. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

16. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

Yeah, no surround for this setup... just a good 2.1

Thanks for all the suggestions!

17. mrbc19 macrumors member

Well what do you want the speakers for? I use my speakers for editing in FCP, so I wanted some decent reference monitors. If you just want it for games and music, then you would not want studio monitors.

I have these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HS50M

They are a little above your budget, but if you go to a Guitar Center or someplace similar when they have a sale, or if you can find a coupon, you should be able to bargain, I got mine for $300 brand new at a Guitar Center.

They are amazing speakers for the price.

18. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

Does anyone recommend a good optical cable for the z-5500?

19. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

Monoprice for all my cabling needs... great cables, fantastic prices!

20. flyingscott thread starter macrumors regular

flyingscott

Just an all around performer... I do a lot of video work and listen to a lot of music as well. I'm not looking for reference quality stuff, just something that is able to run the gamut fairly well.

21. Trishul macrumors regular

Trishul

i ain't no audiophile, but do semi-professional sound/film editing so need to be a bit discerning, and i find my tiny Bose speakers i have to be excellent, the equivalent today are the Bose Companion 3 and 5 series.. (i think you can removes the stands).. but i needed something with a small footprint, was portable, and well built (mine have already suffered some serious knocks and falls.. but still sound brand new) and had to sound clear and accurate.

they can get ridiculously loud without any distortion, i've had many recording artists buy some for their bedrooms and offices after they've heard mine on full whack, i really don't think anything else at that size can do the same.. so if you want small speakers that sound amazing and you aren't an audiophile (which you wouldn't be if asking for advice here).. then you can't go wrong with the Bose.

btw the extra cost is worth it. NASA use Bose speakers in the space shuttle because of their durability and reliability, if its good enough for them then you know. :)

22. OnePumpChump macrumors regular

OnePumpChump

23. Michael73 macrumors 65816

A couple of thoughts...

I have a 6-7 year-old 2.1 Monsoon MH-500 system that are fantastic. Monsoon made some awesome planar speakers back in the day. If you look, you might be able to pick up one cheap.

Another thing you might want to look into is whether you can find any really good deals at a local CompUSA that is closing. CompUSA used to carry the m-Audio AV 40's and the Jamo i300 and when they still had stock both were clearanced out for around $120.

24. SilverL macrumors member

The only speakers you need for your computer:

Acoustic Energy - Aego M
    http://stereo-link.com/Static/AEDesc.html

I have these hooked up to my MacBook Pro and I have to say they are the best 2.1 speakers I have ever heard for a computer.
    Audiophile quality at a crazy cheap (relatively) price ($199).