New MacPro Octo Finally!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ViciousShadow21, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Just ordered the MacPro Octo 2.66Ghz. configed with 2TB, 16GB RAM, 2x Nvidia GeForce GT 120 512MB.

Excited about this cause i've been having to use the Fiancé's MP for my sound editing work. im going to give her my 24" LED ACD and maybe get the 30". Does anyone have any idea when a 30" LED ACD is going to hit the market? i havent seen much talk about it anywhere. just curious if anyone has heard anything.

2. mac88 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately I don't think anyone except Apple could answer that for you. Congrats on the purchase!

3. grue macrumors 65816

You didn't pay for the HDDs and RAM from Apple, did you? :D

4. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i did:eek:

i know i know, but i really needed it for a project coming up for a very important client and i didnt want to have to mess around inside it right before that. but you can be sure when i have some down time im going to max it out. and i promise i wont buy the components thru apple.;)

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

so.. you're going to just throw out the 16GB of RAM for 32? $$$

6. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

probably sell them to a friend or something. what i might do is keep four of them, 4x2Gb, and put 4x4GB for a total of 24GB initially. cause your right i dont want to break the bank and it might be hard to unload 8x 2GB sticks at once.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Congratz. I'm looking at a similarly specced 2.66 octocore. Are you running Pro Tools 8? There's a thread around here about the inefficiencies of the Nehalem processor with Pro Tools 8, which give me some pause.

8. grue macrumors 65816

I dunno man, it's not like it takes hours to configure HDDs and RAM. Certainly not so long that it's worth paying several hundred dollars extra (and having to wait longer for the machine, probably)… at least to me.

Hell, with my 2007 Mac Pro I pulled the stock drive + sleds out, took out the video card, took out the front fan, ran an extra SATA cable and a molex-> SATA Power converter into the lower optical bay, added bluetooth, put the front fan back in, put in a new video card, added four of my own hard drives, and swapped all of the RAM modules out in around 30 minutes.

9. DAMNiatx macrumors 6502a

DAMNiatx

10. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i hear everything your saying and im sure that i could do it successfully but, i guess, for me, the peace of mind was worth more than the money i would save. this job is the one that allowed me to buy this computer and then some so im not to worried about money. i just dont want anything to go awry.

11. grue macrumors 65816

Fair enough. You also get the added bonus that your stuff is covered by AppleCare.

12. ViciousShadow21 thread starter macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

oh yea!! im usually not like this tho. i cant wait to tear into this sucker. but this job could pretty much make or break my career in the upper echelon of my business so im playing it safe.:p

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Nobody knows when a new 30" is coming. However, one thing that is almost guaranteed is that the price will be significantly higher than the current model.

Oh, and it'll be glossy with a glass front. Yuck.

14. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

Congrats on your purchase! You're going to love it... I think the 2.66 8-core is the best Mac Pro of the current lot :D I'm hoping Apple will make an ACD announcement today, even though I think it is unlikely.

15. kirreip macrumors regular

For me, I'd allready be happy if they'd announce an extension cord for the led 24" ACD... This short cord is ridiculous for a MacPro!

16. grue macrumors 65816

That's because that stupid pile is meant for laptops, and Apple hates pro users.