New MacPro Owners, What is your fan's running at ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by blackgmc, Jan 16, 2008.

1. blackgmc macrumors member

I just got my 8-Core 2.8GHz MacPro and wanted to know what your fan readings are ?

Mine idle around

Exhaust 599 RPM
    CPU Fan 499 RPM
    Power Supply 599
    Hard Drive 799

Just checking to see if this is normal, Its my first time owning a MacPro. So far I love it.

2. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Got the same mac pro and the fans are at the exact same speed.

3. blackgmc thread starter macrumors member

4. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Not bad. Its not different than the old 8-core 3ghz I had. Apple made huge improvements in the ram compartment. Its more open, and they flipped the dimms and stacked them differently so its much cooler in there. Fans run at the same rpm though. Its not quieter than a mac mini or imac but its not annoying either.

5. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

6. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Hmmm....so it looks like Apple bumped up the default speed for the Hard Drive fans only.

Those are the ones pulling air in through the front correct?

I know my 2006 Mac Pro is running default at:

Exhaust 599 RPM
    CPU Fan 499 RPM
    Power Supply 599 RPM
    Hard Drive 499 RPM

Anybody with a new Mac Pro, with some 2GB DIMMS installed want to post their fan speeds and temps?

-Kevin

7. blackgmc thread starter macrumors member

I got one more question ? Do you hear your fans when the computer is idling ? I have my Mac Pro on top of my desk and I can hear the fans running. Just want to check if its normal ?

8. Norco macrumors regular

I've never owned a Mac Pro (its on its way), but I'm going to throw an educated guess out there that its normal. Even if a computer is idling its generating heat, and especially with 2 processors running, there needs to be some sort of air flow so that the parts inside of the computer don't just sit there and cook.

9. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Makes sense to increase the rpm of the hard drive fan as its on the top and heat rises. Might make it all cooler.

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Ok, so let me get the fan layout of the Mac Pro straight. I'm assuming it's the same for the old and new models. The Mac Pros have 4 fans total, correct?

Exhaust Fan:
    This is the fan at the rear of the machine, and the air is exhausted out the back.

CPU Fan:
    This is the bottom fan on the front of the machine, and the air is pulled in.

Power Supply Fan:
    This fan is on the PS itself? Does it take air in, or send it out? Is the fan itself under or on the back of the PS?

Hard Drive Fan:
    This is the top fan on the front of the machine, and the air is pulled in.

Is this correct?

I tried an experiment here on my 2006 Mac Pro....I bumped up the Hard Drive fan to the 800 rpm. I didn't notice any changes in the temps in the machine.

-Kevin

11. GangsterTalk macrumors newbie

software?

What software tells you this?

12. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/intel/fan/

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Thanks for the link....I looked at this page back in March when I got the Pro.....but didn't bookmark it. I was trying to remember where I saw it.

I did notice that in smcFanControl....if you just increase the CPU Fan, smc will also kick up the Exhaust fan.

I guess increasing the CPU fans on the bottom, will have less effect as the air has to pass through the CPU heatsinks, then on to the RAM.

-Kevin