New MacPro Questions?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brand, Mar 18, 2008.

1. brand macrumors 601

brand

I just sold one of my MacBook Pros and plan on ordering a MacPro to replace it.

The specs for it are:
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Xeons
    2GB Memory
    320GB Hard Drive
    8800GT Graphics Card
    AirPort Extreme
    Apple Wireless Keyboard

Thing I will add to it:
    Either 2x2GB or 4x2GB of RAM from OWC or Transintl
    A couple of 750GB hard drives setup in a software RAID1 until the Caldigit RAID Card comes out.
    AppleCare will be purchased from Ebay or Amazon.

If I order it with a single optical drive will most new IDE optical drives work or do they have to be flashed with special firmware? One reason for this is so that I can install a LightScribe drive. Another reason is to save $90 and use what I already have.

2. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'm using a LightScribe drive in mine. Having no issues with it, and it's quite old too. Before the MacPro's ever came out.

3. GotPro macrumors 6502

Ditto...

I'm using a very old DVD/CDRW Combo Drive 56x16C from Mad Dog Multimedia (3-4 years old?) with zero problems... Eject keys and everything else works perfectly.

(BTW I'm using this drive as it was one of the few drives that ever shipped without riplock enabled)

4. brand thread starter macrumors 601

brand

Well I ordered it last yesterday and was very happy with myself. Now today I am doubting myself and wondering if I should have waited until the Nehalem comes out. :confused:

Would it be recommended, when adding another optical drive, to use SATA instead of IDE?

5. GotPro macrumors 6502

Don't be silly. Nahalem is still a year away... and in the mean time you could be using this incredible machine.

Software can't even take advantage of the Mac Pro 2.8 for the most part...

As soon as you buy Nahalem... you'll want to wait for whatever is coming in that NEXT year.

Don't... you CAN'T buy technology that way. It is what it is. If you have a need / desire now... it's a GREAT time to buy... the JUST updated them... so... at least you are a BIT ahead of the curve!

Enjoy!