New MacPro Random Freezing... Could it be 10.5.1??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darthraige, Jan 18, 2008.

1. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

My new MacPro is starting to freeze at random times and sometimes when I put it to sleep and start it back up again, it does a full restart of the machine. I recently got rid of XP on the machine and had to get rid of CS3 (wish there was a normal way of uninstalling software and not just guessing at which files to delete), anyway, should I just do a clean restore to play it safe or is this a 10.5.1 thing? Or could something be wrong with the booting up process or something now that XP is off of it?

2. bigbird macrumors 6502

There's already a thread on this in here. One suggestion was to reset the PRAM.

3. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

I've had none of those symptoms though. Just wondering if getting rid of XP and uninstalling something the stupid way would cause this to start happening? I think I am just gonna do a clean install of everything. Usually works out good for me.

4. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. This is the same machine I'm about to order (and I also plan to install XP and CS3), so please let us know how this comes along.

5. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'm just hoping 10.5.2 fixes most of these problems. When I get home I'm gonna do a clean install of everything and start from scratch. Hate to do it, but I feel like I should.

6. mrcandy macrumors regular

Before you do the clean install try this solution, which seems to have fixed this exact problem for a few people.

7. orangejuice macrumors newbie

Mine is freezing too, none of the solutions posted have fixed the problem :(

8. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Also, does anyone know of a clean way to uninstall software? I feel like I screwed something up by deleting files I shouldn't have or something. I tried that AppZap program, but I kinda wish I had it before I uninstalled the software. Now that I think of it, is there a way for Time Machine to go back to a Day 1 restore? Or is that program just used to get a file that was lost and not do an actual system restore?

9. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Darthraige, did you try this? I know you said you tried many things, but just wanted to rule this one out.

True... but then again, even after you install 10.5.2, the problems could still persist. Always good to rule it out with 10.5.1 (as you are doing).

I know that CS3 is a pain to uninstall manually (Adobe has a messy tutorial), but I'm not sure if there is an App out there to do an uninstall of an application if you didn't originally use it while installing the app in the first place..

10. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

I'm gonna try that when I get home from work. Probably won't work though with my luck. lol If it doesn't work, I'll just use the restore discs. I feel like it will be easier to do that. Won't take me long to install all my software again.

11. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Keep us (at least me anyway) updated. And then let us know how you set up your machine and if it happens again. I want to have a similar setup and want to learn from what you do on this one.

12. spiritlevel macrumors 6502

The Mac Heist apps advertised at the top of this page include an app called AppZapper - a universal uninstaller.

I haven't tried it but from what it says it should be able to uninstall anything.

13. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

I always want my system perfect. Every time something like this happens I feel restarting from scratch is the best option. I will keep you posted. Gonna try the repair permissions, which never works for me, then gonna just wipe it out.

14. mrcandy macrumors regular

From previous comments it seems like it was the 'Safe Boot' part that got most other people around this problem. Like you, I've never had much luck with repair permissions fixing any of my issues!

15. darthraige thread starter macrumors 68000

darthraige

Aight, what I did was a clean re-install of Leopard and everything. I feel like it's running like it should be now. Got nervous when Leopard got hung up during the install and had to do it again. But, everything is all good and running....

16. Random Chaos macrumors member

Couple things to check:

1. Open system profiler and make sure you haven't been getting memory errors.

2. Run hardware test and do a full system scan. If it is like the Mac Pro 2007's with Leopard, just chuck the install DVD in the drive and reboot holding down the D key.

That the install process stalled and your crashes seems to indicate something might be bad. Though if everything passes, and things keep working, you're probably OK.

17. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I second the comment about the MacHeist bundle...AppZapper looks great, and while it's obviously only $12 and the bundle price is $50, there are a few other really nice apps in there (particularly Snapz Pro X @$70) which would definitely make the bundle price worth it.

-Bryan

18. mikebore macrumors newbie

Actually CS3 is one of the "good guys". To uninstall CS3 completely (and actually the only way to do it) go to "Utilities/Adobe installers/Add or remove Adobe Photoshop CS3"

For most apps Appzapper is pretty good but CS3 is a bit fussy. It does work after the event...didn't need to be there before install.

Mike

19. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Thanks for the update there... I wonder what the culprit was. :confused:

20. Sepharial macrumors newbie

Happend to me as well a few times. Lets hope for a fast bug fix. :(