NEw MacPro Restarting when Jostled ... Options? Replace?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by astrostu, May 3, 2008.

1. astrostu macrumors 6502

I'm one of the folks who got an early 2008 MacPro, ordered the day after they were announced. Besides the 8800 GT card, I also have 4 GB extra OWC RAM and 2x500 GB WD hard drives installed.

My problem (and I tried searching, didn't find anything) is that it I accidentally bump the tower, like with my knee since it sits under my desk, it will restart. I've tried padding the side that's up against a leg of my desk, but it still restarts. It has nothing to do with what's currently running ... just if I bump it, it restarts.

Is this a known problem? Is there a fix for this? Or is this a return-to-store issue (along with my monitor, which has a glow in a corner)?

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

check if it occurs with the ram / hd's removed.

3. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

It isn't a known problem, but it definitely sounds like a connection is loose. Possibly one of the main power supply cables isn't seated right.

Now, if this was me, I would crack it open and take a look. But seeing as it is brand new, and not everyone is a tech geek, I would take it in and have them take a look. This is definitely caused by hardware, rather than software.

4. astrostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, now I feel like an idiot for not checking the obvious. I'd removed the RAM and re-seated it, and I'd removed the hard drives and put them back in to make sure it wasn't a connection issue. But I didn't try to actually remove them and see if the problem was there with them out.

It wasn't. I tracked it down to my Time Machine hard drive's screws being slightly loose. At least, that's what I changed and it now is not an issue.

Thanks!