New MacPro - Windows XP won't recognize airport card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CoffeeMonkey, Jun 22, 2009.

1. CoffeeMonkey macrumors regular

I just got a new MacPro (running Leopard) and I'm trying to get Windows XP to work via Bootcamp.

I used the Bootcamp Assistant to create the partition, then install XP, and then from XP install the various drivers from the Leopard Install CD. But XP doesn't think there is a wireless card in the Mac, which makes me think it is a driver issue.

Anyone else run into this problem?

2. hehejames macrumors member

No, but do you the Airport on Device manager?

Setting -> Control panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device manager -> Network adapters

- If not listed then XP is not recognizing the card and you would have to manually add it via Add hardware or have the device manager search it again.

- If listed, but crossed out then re-install the driver

- If everything shows up properly, but you can't connect then... delete Airport and re-install the driver.

3. CoffeeMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks.

I checked the device manager, and it is not there. I went to add new hardware, and it pulled up any number of wireless network cards, but when I go to "about this Mac", I can't figure out what specific model of Airport card that I have.

Any ideas besides just going down the list and installing drivers until one of them works?

4. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

:apple: -> About This Mac -> More Info - This will open System Profiler window. In the left pane locate the Network section and click on Airport Card. Now it should show you on right hand side what card you have like below -

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8D)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.39)
    Current Wireless Network: xxxxxxxx
    Wireless Channel: 8

Also can I ask why you are running Windows XP on the Mac Pro? (Nothing against Windows - XP32 likely won't do justice to your machine - you would be much better off with Vista x64 or Win7 x64).

5. CoffeeMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I tried to install Vista first, and ran into the same problem. I started running up against the dreaded authentication deadline, so I decided to backtrack to XP, as I didn't have any problems getting the wireless network to show up on my 2.5-year-old MacBook Pro on an XP partition.

But since this isn't an XP problem, I'll probably try vista again once I figure out the issue.

In the profiler, I am getting:

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E)
    Wireless Card Locale: USA
    Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.35)
    Current Wireless Network: Coffeehouse
    Wireless Channel: 2

6. hehejames macrumors member

Ok... Do you see any items on under network adapters? Also, do you see anything under network adapters that's crossed out in red?

If none of the above, within your device manager there should be an item called something like unknown device(s). If you do click to expand and find your AirPort (or Broadcom). Click on drivers, update drivers and point it to your bootcamp CD/path.

First... let's find your hardware first and we could make this work.

7. CoffeeMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Got it working!

I might have just lucked out, but I stumbled onto a driver that worked.

Thanks for all your help. It has been so long since I used Windows that I had forgotten all about the device manager and installing drivers.

8. hehejames macrumors member

;) I'm glad to hear that your up & running with Airport! Not all forums are evil.

9. bobmane macrumors newbie

im really happy for you...why dont you tell HOW!!!

I have no airpot in vista, xp ...either...device manager wont find a driver for network controller and no airport device is shown in device manager

after too many calls to apple ...they are clueless

I keep find threads that almost give a solution - but dont