New MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by vder, May 27, 2008.

1. vder macrumors newbie

I have finally had it with Vista. Switching over to a Mac. I have been interested in switching for sometime.

Where is the best place to purchase the Mac Pro?
    Locally or from the Apple store online? Thanks for the help.

2. D4F Guest

D4F

If you have a Apple store somewhere near you I would go there.
    If not the Apple online store does it's job pretty well.

And btw... You'll love it :)

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If your in the US buy off Amazon, you can usually get it a 100 bucks off the Apple price + a 100 dollar rebate. Locally, a Apple store (don't forget to use your student discount if your a student or parent of one)

4. Roy macrumors 6502

If you want it custom built, then Apple on-line is the place. Otherwise, Amazon is a pretty good place to start.

5. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I got mine from MacMall.com. No tax, $40 rebate on the shipping (essentially free). And they also have BTO options. I got mine with the 8800 preinstalled.
    They also had other deals like a free printer after rebate, and Parallels for $10 after rebate.

I ordered my MacBook Pro and an iPod from them and have always had good luck. I was all about the no tax. Tax on $3000 isn't exactly chump-change, you know?

6. kkachurak macrumors regular

I bought mine at the Apple Store in Delaware.

I got a student discount ($200 off the Mac Pro and $100 of the ACD) and guess what? Delaware is the home of tax free shopping.

If you ever swing by my house, you can find my Mac Pro on the network as "Taxfree"

I'm showboating now but the point is - if you're nearby, go to Delaware!

7. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

I don't know what you do for a living BUT (and correct me if I'm wrong) you can register as a apple developer for $500 (or in my case $100 as a student developer) and get a significant discount. I plan to do this next year when i get my mac pro and when everything is said and done, i save about $500 which will go towards OWC ram etc.. then i will buy my ACD's refurbished for really cheap too. this also depends on if you get a BTO mac pro versus a factory configured one. I'm pretty sure anyone can register as a developer but it seems to be a really good deal if your a student.

8. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

How do you register as a developer??? Do you have any proof for these claims??? I am not saying your wrong, I am just very interested.

~Steven

Also. BHPhoto is a really good site for current Apple models. They also have BTO. If you live outside of NewYork it is tax free. Do a google search. I believe it is www.bhphoto.com

9. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Put a whole bunch of stuff in your shopping cart and save it, leave it alone for a few days. You'll get a call from an Apple rep asking you about it. Act hesitant and they offer you a discount if you order right there. I've done this twice. By accident the first time. ;)

10. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

this should help a bit... you will have to search a bit on ur own tho.. http://developer.apple.com/membership/hardware.html

11. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

You can also register for the developer stuff for free. You don't get all the tools or code but you do get some beta stuff and nice newsletter.

12. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

Thanks I will look into this.

OP: I hope you enjoy Mac OS X. I switched also and I am loving it. I may go and shoot my Vista disks and post them on YouTube.

13. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Is it called Windows because it makes you want to jump out one?