New MacPro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HeroBiX, Jul 30, 2010.

1. HeroBiX macrumors member

I am thinking about buying the new MacPro, which should be arriving in August

I got a few questions:

How much different is it between i5 and i7 Processor? (Iam also consider to buy an iMac, either iMac or MacPro, thats why Iam asking)

Does Final Cut Pro run or does I need to wait for an upgrade to work on the new MacPro?

What kind of Ram does the MacPro use? going to look for prices of Ram so I upgrade it after I got it

think that it was does questions =)

thanks in advance

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

All your answers can be found here: http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Any of the iMacs will run Final Cut Pro well. Few, outside of serious power users or those wanting upgradable graphics/internal HD/second optical bay need to consider a Mac Pro.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Final Cut runs fine on iMac, so it's a question of do you need the extra speed Mac Pro offers (6-core at least) and the upgradeability. AFAIK, Mac Pro uses special heatsinks so wait a little for the new RAM to appear but OWC should give you the idea

4. HeroBiX thread starter macrumors member

not how much different i5 and i7 is in speed ;)

thanks anyway =)

5. HeroBiX thread starter macrumors member

Google? is that something new again *sights* I hate when new stuff pups up all the time =)

thanks!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Mac Pro processors (the Xeon) are essential highest binned equivalents of the Core iX* processors.

So you can easily compare the standard Core iX processors used in the iMacs with the Mac Pro processors just based on speed.

The Xeon processors just support more features and therefore cost a lot more than the same Core iX processors.

That said usually i7 processors are just faster variants of i5 processors. Think of i5 as Porsche 911 and the i7 as the 911 Turbo. It's not that simple, but that would be easily enough to see that most of the time you won't be needing the faster processor.

Sorry if my explanation is confusing…

And Final Cut runs on just about every Intel Mac, so it won't matter if you choose an iMac or Mac Pro. The only difference will be how much longer you have to wait for an encoding. Therefore if your work will be casual, the iMac is fine. However the Mac Pro does offer user expandability from storage to memory to better GPUs; you can add hardware RAID options, USB 3.0 (when Mac cards come out), eSATA, etc.

It really depends on your budget here.

*X would represent the 3, 5, 7, and 9 currently used by Intel.

Don't assume everyone has access to it. It's blocked in some countries.

7. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

Wait what when?