new macrumors ipod touch app?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by eftrix, Aug 6, 2008.

?

should there be a new macrumors app?

1. yes = there should be a macrumors app

73.8%
  2. no = there should not be a macrumors app

14.8%
  3. mabye = please elaberate

11.5%
  1. eftrix macrumors member

Hey guy what do all of you think, should there be a new macrumors app... personally i think that it would be great!!, if you agree then try and get as much people to say yes and we might just see the app soon!!, if you dont agree, please post why?

I think that this would make macrumors better on ipod touch because then loads of people could be included in thread discussion, therefore making macrumors an even more success!!

Any way i was just wondering so post what you think!!

ALL OPINIONS COUNT!!​

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

This site is enough of a success already. Creating an app won't change that. Make a webclip if you're so inclined, but don't expect someone to spend a load of time to create an app which probably isn't possible (lack of compatibility with vbulletin).

3. eftrix thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean a webclip, i dont understand sorry...
    Yeah its through that it would take a lot of time and it might be compatible, coz didnt all of those blog apps work pretty cool and other blogging apps ect, anyway i just tought it would be a good idea, anyway please explain what a webclip is, that would be helpfull​

4. eftrix thread starter macrumors member

By the way does anyone know where to get a windows ipod touch app maker, or is it as i suspected "mac only"​

5. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I see nothing wrong with the idea. Personally, I'd love it. MacRumors forums have always been really buggy on the Touch for me.

To make a web clip, navigate to a website you like (say, MacRumors) and adjust the image to the portion you want to see. For example, if you want the iPhone blog updates, you'd zoom in to that one area. Hit the "+" sign and "Add to Home Screen". It creates a button on your home screen that navigates to this portion of the website instantly.

Is there a lack of compatibility? What aspects?

As far as success, look at WordPress; their membership has had a serious jump since the release of their App. I know I got one simply because of the ease of access through an application. I think it could really be beneficial to MacRumors, as well as current members. I know I'd download it day 1.

6. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I believe the decision to build an app or not depends more on the institution below than MR (correct me if I'm wrong)

Attached Files:

7. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Yes! Someone move this!

8. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

I doubt VB is going to.

An app would be pretty cool IMO.

No reason there shouldn't be one.

It's just a matter of wether or not someone wants to spend the time on it

9. eftrix thread starter macrumors member

ok i'll repost it, but im new so somebody please tell me where to put it and how?? and also how is this in the wrong place, sorry im just a bit confused​

10. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

What advantages could there be to having an app? The site already works fine on my touch (both the main page and the forum). What bonuses do you see there being to having an app? Because developing one around vBulletin would be a royal pain in the ass to the developer.

Do not repost this, if it needs to be moved, then a mod will take care of it.

I repeat, DO NOT repost this, and why are all your posts centered?

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's different for WordPress, because they actually control all of the aspects of their site, including the software that keeps it going. Macrumors is run by vbulletin, a software which is developed and maintained by another company. Even if vBulletin was able to run with the iPhone SDK, it would be one of the newer versions, which this board is not running.

Correct. The site would also need to be upgraded to the most current version of vbulletin to be compatible (expensive) if they did decide to add support, which is unlikely anyway.

12. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

If someone wants to spend the time to develop the program, and do it cheaply then I'm sure arn wouldn't mind doing an app.

But as I said the last time this issue surfaced, I don't see the point. The mobile site works fine as itis.

13. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

What mobile site?

14. eftrix thread starter macrumors member

I just think that the advantages of a macrumors app would be complete simplicity, all in one place and it would be nice with the apple elastic band feature and other special effects, im just saying if other sites can do it then why not macrumors, even if it were to be expensive wouldnt they open a brand new market for their advertising!!! like wordpress... anyway i think most of the people in the poll agree!!​

15. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Ahh. I was not aware of that. Thanks!

Yeah, I wasn't aware of the vBulletin stuff.

You're right. I meant to just type "move". I edited the post. Good catch!

16. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Advertising wouldn't be affected because the mobile website already contains advertising. In fact if it was a different ad service you would technically be canibalizing your advertising.

mobile.macrumors.com

17. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

I was totally unaware of that! Thanks a lot. if there's a mobile version, then I don't have any use for an App. I just have a lot of bugs with the full version on my Touch.

18. eftrix thread starter macrumors member

The moblie version is not great, and by the way we shouldnt have moved this yet, now people cant vote coz noone comes to this part of macrumors(uasully)

Also if you pick forums on the mobile site it takes you to the normal site :(

19. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Just curious but what does the mobile version not do that you need?

Also, if you think that the creation of an app comes down to the results of poll, you're mistaken. It's all about the $$ ;)

20. eftrix thread starter macrumors member

good point lol$$$

but at the top of the moblie version, if you press on forums it takes you to the full version of macrumors which was the whole point of the app in the first place, theres no point to a mobile version if it is almost the same apart from main pages, and i dont know about yee but the forums is the best part of macrumors so then the mobile version is completely pointless,

WE NEED AN APP

21. aethelbert macrumors 601

There is a mobile version of the forums... I just got it on my iPhone and mac via mobile.macrumors.com.

There's a lot of work that goes into making an app. Making one that will do exactly what you can do in Safari is beyond pointless. If you're so concerned about it, you should be the one to lead the project.

22. eftrix thread starter macrumors member

Believe me i wish i could, but im using windows, and as far as i know there is no sdk kit available for windows so, :(

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

This needed to be moved, because you started it in the wrong area on this site, and how would you know about the popularity of different areas, you have only been a member for 2 days. And please explain why we need an app, everything on the site can be found through Safari, there is not a whole lot of simplicity that can come from an app for the site, and plus, the amount of work that would go into creating it would be enormous for so little differences.

24. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I think the OP means that an app would be a better fit t the iPhone allowing for easier navigating, etc since sometimes the web version can be a little clunky on the iPhone, however, I do agree that it would be too much work for not that much of a benefit.

25. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

The main advantage of an iPhone app over the mobile site is it would enable notifications of new stories/updates/replies to threads.

If anyone at Macrumors is interested in this, let me know. I could take this on as a pet project, provided they didn't insist on it being done next week! :)