New Magic Keyboard Numeric Keypad not working with El Capitan

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macpbr98, Jul 12, 2017.

1. macpbr98, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017

macpbr98 macrumors newbie

I'm on MacOS 10.11.6 (latest available update for El Capitan) because some of my apps don't work with Sierra.

Got the new Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad. Function keys are not working as marked (brightness, volume, etc.).

I know instructions say need MacOS 10.12.4 or later. But I have the Magic Keyboard without keypad and it works perfectly - including function keys. Don't understand why I can't use all the functions just because I'm on El Capitan.

Also, it did not auto-configure via lightning USB. Smaller magic keyboard auto-configured perfectly too.

Anybody have any fixes for making function keys work with MacOS El Capitan? (Google searches reveal others have this issue too but no fixes even after calling AppleCare.)

Thanks in advance.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

You'll need to use Sierra. Note that the system requirements for the new wireless keyboard are different than for the old one. Apple hasn't, and won't, put drivers for the new keyboard into 10.11.6.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

THAT is super eff'd up on Apple's part. I'll bet it would take very little effort to include those drivers in 10.11.6

4. macpbr98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, very annoyed with Apple to say the least. No reason for regular magic keyboard to work perfectly but not the one with keypad.

5. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors member

Can't comment on the keyboard but, I learned the hard way that trackpad 2 will not work in Yosemite. Annoying for me because I need Yosemite on a partition to run a legacy program.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Obviously there is a reason, or else it would work in El Crapitan.

7. AppleSmack macrumors regular

The extended Magic keyboard needs Sierra minimum.

Try Better Touch Tool… you can configure any key press to perform a certain function, even system functions.
    I use it myself for this purpose.
    Other people might use Karabiner, though I have no experience myself of this.