New MagSafe 2 connector

auero

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
So with this new MagSafe 2 connector I assume the other adapters will be rendered useless?

But what about those of us with Thunderbolt and Cinema Displays? What do you think they'll do with our power issue?

Edit: Found the answer on the specs page of the new retina macbook pro.

Attachments

Last edited:

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Most likely an adapter will exist, it seems that the new magsafe is just wider due to the smaller footprint it can take up.

:edit: nice, called it sort of. haha.

Comment

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
i know they are plentiful now but what about the people that have the older wider mag safes i have a 2010 13in macbook pro

Comment

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
I'm not sure if the connector is actually any different. If you look at the tech specs on the new MacBook pro you can see a picture of the connector. If that's any indication then they may have just made the right angle design a straight plug and have the same size connector.

It looks an awful lot like an iOS device plug. Perhaps they're integrating a single charger for all devices!

Comment

DinoMachino

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2009
macphis
Unified Magsafe?

It looks an awful lot like an iOS device plug. Perhaps they're integrating a single charger for all devices!
You know.... I wonder what the dimensions of that weird 'dock port' opening at the bottom of those leaked new iPhone casings are....

Magsafe sure would make putting the iPhone on a dock/charging station/whatever pretty dang slick n' quick (pardon the sudden onset of a southern accented dialect).

Comment

greenythebeast

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Did they seriously go back to the T-plug design? I hate that design since you can't lie the computer on its side if it's charging :(

Comment

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Did they seriously go back to the T-plug design? I hate that design since you can't lie the computer on its side if it's charging :(
I agree. I absolutely hate the new design of the MagSafe connector, it seems like they took a step backward with that and it looks hideous and undesirable from a practical point of view. Here's a picture taken from The Verge:

Edit: isn't this going to cause the fraying problems we saw with the previous style and the influx of lawsuits against Apple? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1272321/

Last edited:
Comment

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
People seem to think that that design works better at the primary purpose of the magsafe, which is detaching when the cord gets pulled. That's probably more important on a lighter laptop.

If you want to use your old L-style, you can get the adapter (which looks pretty nice actually).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.