New MagSafe 2 connector

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by auero, Jun 11, 2012.

1. auero, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

auero macrumors 65816

So with this new MagSafe 2 connector I assume the other adapters will be rendered useless?

But what about those of us with Thunderbolt and Cinema Displays? What do you think they'll do with our power issue?

Edit: Found the answer on the specs page of the new retina macbook pro.

Attached Files:

2. fs454 macrumors 65816

Most likely an adapter will exist, it seems that the new magsafe is just wider due to the smaller footprint it can take up.

:edit: nice, called it sort of. haha.

3. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i know they are plentiful now but what about the people that have the older wider mag safes i have a 2010 13in macbook pro

4. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure if the connector is actually any different. If you look at the tech specs on the new MacBook pro you can see a picture of the connector. If that's any indication then they may have just made the right angle design a straight plug and have the same size connector.

It looks an awful lot like an iOS device plug. Perhaps they're integrating a single charger for all devices!

5. DinoMachino macrumors member

DinoMachino

Unified Magsafe?

You know.... I wonder what the dimensions of that weird 'dock port' opening at the bottom of those leaked new iPhone casings are....

Magsafe sure would make putting the iPhone on a dock/charging station/whatever pretty dang slick n' quick (pardon the sudden onset of a southern accented dialect).

6. greenythebeast macrumors regular

Did they seriously go back to the T-plug design? I hate that design since you can't lie the computer on its side if it's charging :(

7. Hustler1337, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

Hustler1337 macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

I agree. I absolutely hate the new design of the MagSafe connector, it seems like they took a step backward with that and it looks hideous and undesirable from a practical point of view. Here's a picture taken from The Verge:

[​IMG]

Edit: isn't this going to cause the fraying problems we saw with the previous style and the influx of lawsuits against Apple? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1272321

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

People seem to think that that design works better at the primary purpose of the magsafe, which is detaching when the cord gets pulled. That's probably more important on a lighter laptop.

If you want to use your old L-style, you can get the adapter (which looks pretty nice actually).

9. avalys macrumors 6502

Huh? You mean, vertically on edge? You can always lay it on the other side...