new magsafe adapter on rMPB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by detroitl, Jul 15, 2012.

1. detroitl macrumors newbie

Does anyone not like the new magsafe? This is my first mac, but I have seen the previous magsafe design and I feel like that one was a lot better. The new one seems to disconnect fairly easily without me wanting it to.

2. photosaurus macrumors regular

I agree. I liked the last gen better. This one comes out if you breath too hard. Not to mention I've got 4 last gen magsafe's, and one tiny little adapter that I have to keep up with, along with two other last gen using MacBooks in use.. so there's a constant battle of the tiny little adapter being removed and moved.

3. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The new T connector is much better than the previous L-shaped connector when you consider what MagSafe is designed for.

With the T connector, it doesn't really matter which way the cable is going, it's still going to disconnect when someone trips over the cable. In my experience, with the L connector, if someone tripped over the cable in the direction where the plug is connected like so:

the cable either doesn't disconnect or disconnects when it's too late (after the computer falls onto the floor or the person trips, sometimes both).

MagSafe 2 does disconnect a bit too easily for my liking- even a little tug and the plug disconnects from the computer- but I'll take that over the cable not disconnecting and my computer flying onto the floor.

The original T-shaped plastic MagSafe was the best design so far imo. They should've just recased that in aluminum and fixed the cable fraying issue.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think that the main reason that they redesigned the connector and port was to make it disconnect more easily now that their notebooks are getting much thinner and lighter than they were when the original MagSafe was designed.

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

You are very observant. I experienced the same thing with mine before I got rid of it.

Once the truth was revealed (which really opened my eyes) after iFixit did it's expose. That was the final straw. As good.. and as nice as that computer is, I simply could not support Apple's choice by keeping mine.

I'm not about to vote with my money by giving Apple my business when once again, they are being so hypocritical. Last year Apple bragged about how green and superior they were, only to find out now, that it was a lie.

Since I got rid of it, I'm even more appreciative of my 15" 2011 MBP, that I kept just in case I didn't like the new MBPr.

I must admit I was shocked as were others, when Apple admitted that being green no longer mattered. Further proving it, by immediately removing their entire laptop line off the EPEAT list was confirmation of their dirty manufacturing.

Even more interesting was how they caved in to the pressure once the blogosphere, the City of SF, and others went against Apple.

Their hypocrisy bit them on the ass, and they immediately did an about face, swallowing their egos and pride, to attempt to get back into the people's and companies good graces.

The mere thought of losing business, sure straightened Apple up in a big hurry. To see them react to real consequences was laughable.

As enthusiastic as I like to be about Apple, lately they are trying hard to take all the fun out of being aligned with them. It's as though, due to the wildly successful iToyz line, that their ego has expanded to such obscene proportions, they don't care about their long term supporters.

Apple knows one thing, and it's a fact. No matter what stunts they pull, the public looks the other way, opens their wallet and lines up to buy any iToy that's shiny and new.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

^^^ All good reasons why they went with the T-connector, but personally I liked the L-connector. It was a lot less intrusive.

7. Meever macrumors 6502a

Ao listening to demand of fans/consumers is considered bad now? I've seen plenty of companies **** up and backtrack but I've never seen another fortune 500 company have their head of division write an open letter apologizing for their mistakes, rectifying it AND send out email responses to consumers informing them about said decision.

I like the transparency. It's very refreshing.

8. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

I think the redesign is excellent. It actually works. I have several friends that had their MBPs crash to the ground with the L-connectors.

9. cmdrmac macrumors regular

I like the new design - and it is similar to the older design before they went to the L-shaped one. I have to admit that it is a bit irritating that the new connector pops out quickly, but at least it won't move the machine when it is sitting on a table if someone trips over the cable.