New MagSafe not so safe?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fried-gold, Sep 20, 2010.

1. fried-gold macrumors member

Just upgraded my MBP from one of the first unibodys. The new computer is great, but the power cord? Surely that was one giant leap backwards? Yeah it looks cool, but I have nearly destroyed my new MBP many times - that old panicy, heart in mouth feeling when you trip over the power cord and turn round to see you computer sliding towards the edge of the table is back! With the cord parallel to the body rather than perpendicular it doesn't seem to have the leverage to pop out easy any more. Admittedly I am clumsier than most, but then thats why I loved the old magsafe so much. It makes me wornder, am I just using it wrong or does anybody else wish for simpler times??

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Really? I've had the opposite experience. This is my first mag-safe power cord, and it seems to pop off of the MBP a bit more easily than it should, popping of when the cable is tugged with a force that definitely couldn't have made the laptop slide. It's not a big deal though, I just have to replug it in about an extra one time a week.

3. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

my power cord seems fine.

but if you think its a step backwards go to ebay/craigslist and buy an old power cord.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You would have to make sure the volt/wattages match...and I believe they changed over time.

5. fried-gold thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I think I might. I never thought I would be asking such dumb question, but how do you guys actually use it? I used to wrap it around the back (right to left) then plug it in. This way it got in the way the least. Though, like this the new one is getting stuck. I've been experimenting, so I tried just plugging it in so that the cable covers the ports, and this works for most directions, but when the direction of force is along the cable = no leverage = laptop hurtling towards the edge! My desk is quite smooth which only exacerbates the situation, but I never really had problems before... Maybe a big non-slip mat would help. I'll keep experimenting anyways...

6. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

Mine has been great! my dog has hit the cord a few times and the computer doesn't go flying :) Doesn't come off easy or too hard just right.

7. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Your concern is quite logical OP. I have the older perpendicular ones and that would seem, in every pulling angle to come out pretty easily. But in the same way that that original one is hard to pull out if you try to yank it directly away from the case (not at an angle), the new one would be hard to pull out if you pulled parallel to the case along the ports, but once the computer twists slightly, it'll pop out really easy.

8. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I am usig a MagSafe (65w) from a 3 year old white MB with no problems. Wattage is not an issue.

9. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Yes but its not correct and wont charge correctly if they dont match, apple uses the 85w on certain products for a reason...not for fun.

10. discosoap macrumors regular

I also understand the OP's problem. Had a 1st gen Macbook which had the old connector which seemed to be pulled out easier from any angle. I wonder which Macbook Pro we're talking about here. A 17" is heavier than 13", which probably means the 17" has more weight divided over a larger ground area resulting in more grip. This could mean for some it's a problem, while for others (17") it is not (or less). Anyway, still believe Apple chose form over function with the newly designed connectors

11. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

15" & 17" have always come with 85w (physical size changed over time, but wattage remained the same).
    13" have always come with a 60w. There has never been a 65w magsafe (Powerbooks used to come with 65w).

A 60w will work with 15" & 17" but will charge it slower than it should. Also if you totally run out of power, you won't be able to plug in the adaptor and start working again straight away. You'd have to wait 10 mins or so for the battery to get some charge before you can use the computer.

12. Migra macrumors newbie

Once accidentally I pulled the "magsafe" cable with my leg when got up from my desk and it never autodisconnected, If it wasn't because my great reflects (not sure the word sorry my bad english XD) :cool: surely I wouldn't have my MBP right now, so now I wonder what's so "safe" on the "magsafe"???????? :confused:

13. fried-gold thread starter macrumors member

Over the past 24hrs i have been boldly putting my new mbp at risk in order to investigate the L plug, and the different ways of plugging my computer. I also borrowed a friend T style. My conclusions are - in a number of situations the L shape is, at least for me, less safe. It seems it definitely releases less easily. I'll be looking for an old T style on ebay... Wow I really need to get out more...

14. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Two hard choices with these cables. Either a fire hazard with the old design or with the new design perhaps some higher risk of damage due to more force needed for cable release. I think the new cable became standard from the costly world wide free trade program of the first design. That had to end.

15. LocoStrange macrumors member

All I know there has been two incidents that the L plug has saved my laptop. I normally plug it where the smooth side of the plug is facing the back which i find to be the safest where the OP described.

16. mchad macrumors member

17. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

My 15" MBP charges just fine with my old MB power supply (60, not 65w as I posted earlier); I haven't checked to see if it takes any longer than with the 85; nor tries it with a completely dead MBP. I really doubt the MBP is pulling anywhere near 60w, let alone 85, as it charges. At any rate, the 60w will work just fine with a MBP that uses a 85w supply.

18. vant macrumors 65816

Uh, I use my 2009 charger with my 2010 laptop just fine.

19. OneEyedJack macrumors member

The wattage only affects the amount of time it takes to reach full charge. Hypothetically, a 5W adapter would work...it would just take a long time.

Apple probably supplies the 85W adaptor because its a good compromise in capacity for an entire line of products.

No rocket science here...just a battery.