New magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThemacNub, Jun 17, 2012.

1. ThemacNub macrumors regular

Does anyone know why apple ditched the idea of having the connector run along side the laptop. This new one seems like a step back in innovation to the old design used a few years ago.

2. SisterRay macrumors regular

I found that the one that ran along the side did not release as easily as the old T model. I welcome the change as long as they have fixed the issue where it could break and expose the wires where the lead met the connector

3. Chupa Chupa, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My guess -- and it's just that -- is that they had to move more of the electronics to the adapter side. Otherwise, why make the plug bigger and in the failed T shape. As you say, it's a step backwards. The original Magsafe was junk. I had two of them completely fall apart due to a poorly designed strain relief. The revised one that ran along the side did not stress the cable and so it wasn't prone to fraying. I love my RMBP, but agree the Magsafe2 is not a welcome part of that package.

Edit: OK, I'm always amused by the negs, but the one on this message in particular is interesting because I didn't even write anything controversial. It's a fact the original Magsafe T connector was a failure. It's 1) why there was a safety recall on them b/c too many came apart too easily and 2) why the it was redesigned to the stick form factor.
    I never had the stick type fray on me, never saw complains on any of the message boards. I guess someone really woke up angry. Ha.

4. parish macrumors 65816

parish

Agreed. Where I use my MBP most means the cable comes from the right so with the T-shape it means the cable gets bent round 180deg but the L-shape would be so much better.

To minimise strain, I've formed a loop using the little plastic clip on the cable and wrapped.a cable tie around it to reduce strain

One other thing, there's a MagSafe to MagSafe 2 adaptor, but not the other way round. Would be useful as I still have an old MacBook Pro