New Magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MD211, Jul 4, 2014.

1. MD211 macrumors newbie

I know this is not very constructive nor informative but after dealing with the new Magsafe for half a year now I have so had it that I just have to vent.
    The old Magsafe was perfect. Great connection, slim design, it just worked!
    The new Magsafe if looked at wrong comes off.
    I know Steve Jobs would have torn the idiot apart that suggested that piece of s*** new connector.

2. SantaRosa2.2 macrumors regular

SantaRosa2.2

It's safe to assume the slimmer design of the Magsafe2 utilizes less magnetic force due to less magnet surface.

Yes, they pop off far more easily than the old Magsafe, but still work nonetheless.

3. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

well it has to be thinner, their laptop is thinner, what do you want apple to do?

4. MD211 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem as I see it is not the thickness, it is how deep (how far it sticks out) it is. Due to the leverage the slightest pull on the cable in any direction disconnects the magsafe.

5. AlphaDogg, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Magsafe 2 is actually very similar to the old magsafe design... The new magsafe design was great as well. But all designs of magsafe and magsafe 2 suck in terms of durability.

Magsafe:
    [​IMG]

Updated magsafe:
    [​IMG]

Magsafe 2:
    [​IMG]

Hey I heard Apple is developing a new revolutionary connector. Here's a shot of a couple prototypes ;)
    [​IMG]

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The only reason why I don't like magsafe 2 is because my monitor has the old magsafe connector.

They both seem to work, I'm still not sure why apple went ahead and changed it so quickly. I will say the slim design of magsafe 1 is better imo, but there's nothing I can do about it at this stage. :cool: