New magsafe!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nipz, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

hey

i posted a couple of days ago asking where to get a new magsafe cheaper as mine has melted itself and broken.

well i rang apple today and after an hour of questions and being on hold they gave me a new 1 for FREE :)

therefore if your in the same situation or ever are just ring up and ask :)

you got to love apple...

2. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

You are too easily pleased.

Your magsafe melted... Apple are obliged to replace it for you! They didn't do you a favour!

3. dquack macrumors member

I would be pretty aggravated if mine melted too and I would demand a replacement. Luckily I haven't had that problem with mine (knocking on wood surface).

4. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, how long had you had the Magsafe? I have read a few things about them failing recently! Seems we must be very careful with them, which is kinda poo since it's supposed to be a portable computer!!!

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

You wouldnt have been pleased if this happened when you
    were out & came home to find a pile of ashes were your
    house once stood

6. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

did they ask for your credit card number to take a deposit of 40 quids? i'm getting my replacement brick today and will have to return the old one to Apple before they'll refund me the deposit.

7. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

its out of warranty, so im no easily pleased, im glad that i dont have to pay £60 for a new 1!!!

nah just said they will send it in the next 10 working days... no details other than serial number etc...

8. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

they're so efficient. i called them yesterday afternoon and this morning i received my replacement brick. love :apple:

9. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

10. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

I don't see why so many people's MagSafe adapters are breaking. Do you yank the adapter out of your MacBook by the cord? All you have to do is push up or down on the plug and pull it.

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

it broke by itself. i've been very gentle with my mac stuff.

12. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I wish people would stop quoting this long-debunked rumor without looking at the literally thousands of cases where these Magsafes have short circuited all by their little selves. Take off the fanboy glasses; this is a defect, and should be acknowledged as such.

13. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Anyone else have luck getting theirs replaced out of warranty?

I have one on a MacBook, and it shorted out right by the connector. I purchased a new one since it was out of warranty.

Do you think I would have better luck calling or taking it in to the store?

14. reubs macrumors 68000

I got my Macbook magsafe replaced out of warranty, and they did take my CC # as a means of making sure I wasn't trying to snag an extra power cord from them.

But I wouldn't say, "You gotta love :apple:" because of a few reasons:

Power cords shouldn't just fail like that. It's a quality control issue, and there are too many instances of it happening to be isolated.

The OP said he was questioned and put on hold for an hour total. I was pissed when I had to sit on the phone with them over an issue that should have never been the case to begin.

I'm glad your case got resolved, and I'm glad mine got resolved, too, but I wish they would acknowledge overall that this could be a major problem if someone has their house burn down.

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

i agree with everyone for the above reason(or worse still your in bed and you go up in flames)its a fault that needs to be fixed

16. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

yea just asking model number extra... and asking if anything else was damaged!

its basic sparky stuff, if u have the cord bend when plugged in the fibers brake and gets hot and melts... user error (almost) not defect as such.

if you have already brought a new one i doubt you can do anything now.

Its always best to ring apple as they do the best they can for you. so yea... you gotta love :apple:.

17. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Mine came apart near the brick, I dropped by an apple store and they basically handed me a new one after checking my serial number. I was pleased to say the least. The entire process took about 10 minutes.

18. Nipz thread starter macrumors 65816

Nipz

wish there was an apple shop in Plymouth, UK!!!

19. dquack macrumors member

Would like it for the smaller size

Mine works fine but I have wanted to upgrade it to the newer one that is smaller.

20. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Dont you think your all getting away from the fact that all this could happen
    while your asleep and you & your house could up in a puff off smoke

Apple needs to fix this issue pronto