New Mail feature in 1.1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jerruco, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Jerruco macrumors newbie

I didn't notice until I updated to 1.1.1, but I can now play mp3, aac, and wav files that are attached to e-mails.
    I haven't tried any other formats yet, but this is major for me since I work in broadcasting and need to listen to and approve mp3 files that are emailed to me constantly.
    I had been waiting for this since day one!:)

Does anyone know when they added this feature?

2. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

didn't know that. That's pretty cool though...

I can't imagine streaming that on EDGE. :p

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Actually music files don't do bad. Just give it a while to load up some of it in the buffer, and you're good to go.

4. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

This is a great feature! cant wait to be able to try it out.

5. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

doubt many of us will use all those formats thru email but good feature anyway :)

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

7. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Don't get too excited. This is probably not a feature but a "bug" in Apple's mind.
    They WILL NOT allow you to stream or email video/audio unless you go through their iTunes store. (when will they wake up?)

Watch for this to be deactivated in the next firmware release.

8. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Where have you been? You know there is a reason for this - people asked Apple to allow them to hear MP3 etc in their email because many many business people get their voice mail emailed to them. This will not be deactivated - it a much needed feaure.

9. Gregory macrumors member

You can also email Quicktime movies as well not sure what all codecs yet, but ipod mp4 movies work. . .

10. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

My voicemail emailed from vonage doesn't work with this. It recognizes the file I tap it and it brings up the movie player but then says this movie cannot be played.

11. nyboilermaker macrumors member

You beat me to the punch. Me too.

Thoughts?

12. Jerruco thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I just played a short clip encoded as a .m4v!

13. Jerruco thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I asked for this feature the day I bought my iPhone.
    I also doubt this is a "Bug".

14. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

where were you guys on september 27th? this was discussed in several threads the day 1.1.1 came out.

it's not a bug either. if you're an apple software engineer you don't go into your email app code and accidently add a bunch of lines of code that add support for for various media codecs, integrating them with the built in quicktime app, and then have them work flawlessly. this isn't a case of them forgetting to turn the bluetooth off when switching to music. it's not as easy as just flipping a switch. it would take quite a bit of coding effort to add that to the email. plus, the way i understand it, you can't email out the DRM'd files on the iphone anyway, so that's not a concern for apple.

15. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I see. Apple is doing this for business users. Wouldnt there be far more demand for ms exchange capability? Or more demand for flash video?

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Now a Flash lite is out the door, there is no reason for it not to come to the iPhone sooner rather than later :)

17. bwiissofly macrumors 6502

i tried this but it said "this movie could not be played" even though it's a music file.

18. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

There is demand for both - however I speculate it was easier to integrate MP3/Sound files etc into email than to get Exchange working and I seriously doubt Flash, unless its crippled beyond belief, will ever be on the iPhone (JMO). How do you do mouse over effects with a touch screen?

19. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

Mail attachment .vcf file opened as a contact card ready to be saved (create) or added to existing contact. Wish they would do this with .vcs (iCal) as well