New mail is terrible

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mashinhead, Jun 25, 2010.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I'm having tow very annoying issues. First is with gmail, now when I swipe instead of the delete button archive is the new default and I see no way to change it.

Second is outgoing mail. Even though I have all the correct settings when I send an email it keeps telling me that my password isn't entered when it is. And if I go back in to reenter it in settings it says the same thing. There is no way to fix it other than to force quit mail and hard reset the phone. All that just to send one email.

I wish they had jus left mail the way it was.

2. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

It's just semantics. It's doing the same thing it was before, from what someone told me. If you swipe an Exchange email, it will delete it.

3. Dsking85 macrumors member

i don't like the archive thing either. I used to delete a buttload of emails straight from my inbox, and now I have no idea where they're going when I archive them!

4. matperk macrumors 6502

You can disable this with a slider-option in the gmail account settings

5. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

It took me minute to see this in settings.

Turn archiving off for your gmail account. Archiving saves the message to the "All Mail" folder. Switch it off and suddenly it becomes "delete".

6. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

You seriously think that Apple won't let you delete emails? Come on guys go into your settings and change it from "archive" to "delete".

7. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I don't like the new mail either. I have 3 accounts in there one being gmail too. Yesterday I replied to someone and when I looked in the sent folder I had somehow sent it to myself. Also careful to delete an email you may want to save since it seems to connect a thread of them under same subject.

8. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I like the new Mail... I also hadn't noticed the "archive" thing and am a fan of that too. I hated how it always deleted my Gmail messages.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Another optional feature with a switch in the 'settings.'

I turned it off.

10. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

I wish there was a junk email filter. When you swipe an email it should offer a junk button.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

As an Exchange admin, I never understood why people kept a full "Deleted Items" folder.

If you don't want messages deleted, why are you deleting them?

12. jman240 macrumors 6502a

dont panic

don't panic, click this...

ps. you can now sync your google calendar and notes without setting up google mobile sync (exchange).

Attached Files:

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You're using a gmail account. The whole idea of Gmail was, from the start, never to delete messages but instead to archive them. In the old days it was actually pretty difficult actually to delete a Gmail message. Now they've put a delete button on the inbox because of complaints, but the default choice (and the one in bold) is still archive. This is just the iPhone coming into line with Gmail.

14. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Why is the phone coming into line with gmail? Did gmail buy the phone? Shouldn't it be coming into line with me, the user?

Anyway thanks for that, the gmail thing was secondary really even though I didn't write it that way, the outgoing mail issue is the real problem. Of it helps those account I'm having issues with are google app mail accounts

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm not saying you aren't having issues, but my own experience with the app has been good thus far. Are you using Gmail via Exchange?

16. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

Ahh, good to know. Thanks! I thought since my exchange account was still deleting then this was just something Google has been doing all along.

17. gazzrenn macrumors 6502a

gazzrenn

Thing that annoys me is the 'threading' of emails only applies per folder.

So if i have an email string in my inbox that consists of 3 incoming messages and 2 outgoing i only see the incoming 3 in the thread.

18. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Got to disagree on this one. I love the new email client. Multiple exchange account syncing, faster switching between mail accounts, universal inbox, and threaded messages (my favorite).

19. tibere86 macrumors member

+1. Coming from Android, this really annoys me.

20. cfernandes macrumors regular

cfernandes

I like iOS4 mail better than the old mail. I love having the option of viewing all of my inboxes.

21. jaysfan2010 macrumors newbie

Whats the fix for the password problem since i have that too when trying to send mail.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I've turned off "Organize by thread" setting because of poor implementation. If I get a new message, it's one more step to get to the new message (within a thread) and once I'm finished reading it, it's one more step to get out of the thread back to inbox. I'll turn it back on when it's better implemented like the web version of Gmail.

23. illutionz macrumors 65816

Thank goodness I setup my Gmail as exchange for the Push notification as well as syncing my contacts and calendar.... Never seen this problem ;)

24. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

This

25. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Same here. I am so used to it, I like the email on the iPhone better than my old Blackberry now.