New Mail LION OS

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Loke2112, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Loke2112 macrumors regular

Loke2112

Good morning,

I was wondering if anyone else finds the fact that the new email program always puts the oldest, most outdated message on top causing one to scroll all the way to the top to see the most recent correspondence. I don't see a setting anywhere to change this. Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks,

Tony W.

2. Sailorloco macrumors member

There is a way to change the order of mail. Mine is right above my very first email. It's a slightly darker tab that reads Sort by Date with a triangle indicating a drop down window. From there you can choose how to sort by, date, to , from etc and also whether you want ascending or descending. Hope this helps.
    Mando

3. dcains macrumors regular

What??? At the top of the column showing the emails (regardless of which mail folder you've selected), there's a "Sort by" dropdown menu. You can choose how you'd like the messages sorted; date, flags, from, subject, etc. And you can choose "ascending" or "descending".

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Click "Sort by Date" on the top of the middle pane. It should place the newest on top. As far as I know, the right pane should always be arranged by newest on top.

5. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Let me clarify.

The new mail provides a "conversation" thread feature like GMAIL that groups like emails together. As an example I get an email alert when a deposit is made in my checking acct.

By default when you click on the email (thread) it shows you the oldest first. In some cases there are 20 plus emails within the thread and scrolling to the most recent is a real PITA.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Preferences --> Viewing --> At the bottom, option "Show most recent message at top"

Check or uncheck based on your preference, which is unclear (maybe due to a mistype? in your original post)

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That's also in that article I posted. :rolleyes:

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Good morning.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sorry, when I clicked the thread there were no responses, wrote mine, got distracted and forgot to click "Submit Reply" for quite a while :rolleyes:

10. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Thanks but I tried that already. I prefer when I click on a message/thread with 30 + messages within that the most recent be the one on top. Im sure you all would prefer it the same way.

----------

Not sure if you all are understanding I am talking about the messages within the messages when grouped as conversations.

11. dyn macrumors 68030

Which is better because I don't have to click the link and if the link is offline the information is still here in the thread. On the other side...you can't post a good solution enough times :)

@Loke2112: I would prefer the oldest one on top since I read from left to right and top to bottom. This becomes very crucial with mailinglists due to the amount of messages. I have to scroll to the bottom to understand what is going on and read from bottom to top which makes things quite hard to understand. From top to bottom I do not have any of these problems. I can now quickly scroll past the messages I've already read.

The setting to change this behaviour is in Tyler23's post. It will then either put the oldest on top or the newest. This is the only way to sort messages within a conversation.

12. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Thanks so much for all the assistance gents. I just got off the phone with Apple and the senior advisor who did a screen share (unusual for Apple) and he had to forward it on to engineering.

I had issues with Snow Leopard as well when upgrading from the disk as apposed to a clean instal. Somehow weird quirky stuff that doesn't work right just finds me.

I have some conversation thread messages with over 100 messages and I want to more recent on top by default.

13. dangerfish macrumors 6502

You are doing something wrong or not following the directions. When I open an email, the newest email in the conversation is at the top. I don't have to scroll down to see the newest message.

14. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Actually no, I'm not. See my post above.

15. dangerfish macrumors 6502

So when you have selected the option as shown in the preferences, it does not change the your email to be displayed as I have in the attachment? If not, then I don't know what engineering is going to do for you. It probably means something got messed up in the install and you should reinstall Lion.

Attached Files:

16. dyn macrumors 68030

Or you could remove the applications plist (it's in ~/Library/Preferences) because it might have some conflicting stuff in it. Also be sure to disable any Mail bundle you installed (GPGMail for instance). Rebuilding the mailbox might work too.

17. dangerfish macrumors 6502

These are some great ideas to try. One other might be to "repair permissions"; an old Mac favorite.

18. Loke2112 thread starter macrumors regular

Loke2112

Yeah Danger I checked that box long before I came and started this thread trust me. Im sure Im looking at a reinstall.

----------

You mean disk utility MAC HD repair permissions?

19. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

my problem is this:

i have over 500 emails. i would scroll down to, say, july, and read an email (not a "conversation" email).

then a new email arrives (i know, because i hear the chime).

i need to scroll a lot of times, till i get to the top. on ios, tapping on the top of the screen (where the date is) would go to the top of the inbox.

is there any workaround like this on lion?

20. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Fn+Left arrow works as the home key, which will take you to the top of the list.

jW