"New mail" sound - but no new mail!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neven, Jun 8, 2007.

1. neven macrumors 6502a

This happens to me at least once a day: I'll be sitting at the computer, and regardless of what I'm doing - typing, watching a movie, clicking around - I get the "new mail" sound, which prompts me to check Mail. But - no new mail.

The sound comes on when I DO have new mail, as expected, but every now and then it happens even when there's no new mail. I have only one mail account and I can check it online as well, so I'm positive that there is indeed no new mail.

Any idea what else could be making the sound? I've looked and thought and clicked, but it seems to happen regardless of what apps I have running or what I'm doing at the time.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Maybe you're hearing things.

If you weren't getting any new mail at all, it'd be a problem.

3. aLoC macrumors 6502a

Could the new message be going to the junk folder instead of the inbox?

4. neven thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eidorian, thanks. Very helpful.

Checked that - nope. Not going to any other folder either.

5. SuperDaddy macrumors member

Mybe another process uses the same sound for some type of notification? Like either a star-up, or opening, or closing, etc?

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That was my thought. Maybe another application also uses the sound?

7. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

There are certain songs/ movies which have remarkably similar sounds in them that often prompt me to check. It haunts me. Chances are you are just hearing things like me.

8. pmac macrumors newbie

Any chance it is playing the notification noise for a message you have already read, say in the last 5 minutes? I find sometimes I will glance at mail, see a message and read it then the notification will play a few minutes later for some reason.....

9. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Sparky's

Try changing the sound and see if it still happens with the new sound, also see if there are any "Rules" set up that may be deleting certain messages as they come in.
    And if you have the mailboxes side bar open, see if any of the folders are in bold, this would indicate an unread file.

my 2¢