New Mail Sound not working 10.5.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by imac abuser, Aug 1, 2008.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Hello, I'm having a problem. I'm not getting email notification sounds when I get an email in mail. I have tried changing the sounds. My updates are current. I'm using 10.5.4, and it used to work. I get all other sounds except the new mail sounds... Can someone help Apple Care is useless in helping me with this. I have a macbook running the same OS and everthing with the same sound, and it works just fine everytime.

2. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

anyone else that's having this problem please fill one of these out

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mail.html

it's the only way to get "the mans" attention...

I also think this may have had something to do with upgrading itunes to 7.7.1

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

hmm

I have a problem with Mail sounds but it is different than yours.

Mail always beeps the "no new mail sound" from my mobileme (worst name ever) email account before it has even finished connecting. So i either have to keep Mail as the forefront application for one minute or look at the dock for new messages. It's been acting this way for months. "No new mail sound" happens while mail activity monitor is still talking to the server.

4. smerx macrumors newbie

fix

Go to Mail->Preferences->Accounts->Advanced and deselect "Use IDLE command if server supports it"

Worked for me.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

I've been having the no-sound-effect-when-I-receive-email problem ever since the 10.5.7 update (At least, I think it started then).

When I send email, it makes the 'whoosh' sound. But Mail makes no sound when I receive email.

I use gmail with IMAP, so I don't want to deselect "Use IDLE command if the server supports it". Why would that solve this problem anyway?

Anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it properly?

6. cpoticha macrumors newbie

Me too!

I use a pop mail account, so the option to turn of the "IDLE" option (whatever that is) is not available.

Not only do I not get a new mail sound, but neither does the icon bounce in the Dock.

I return to my Mail after several hours to find urgent messages awaiting me.

I've posted a Bug Report to Apple, but don't expect much help until I experience the same thing on Snow Leopard (once I upgrade).

My computer's brand new, with Mail pre-installed, though my mail archive is imported, and quite large.

Poop.

PS: Nice ancient Windows style interface for this forum! WTF?

7. cpoticha macrumors newbie

Interim solution: Growl

I found a stop-gap solution: Install Growl (shareware). When a new mail arrives it provides notification. You can also configure it to notify you of other application activity such as Skype contacts status and iTunes info.

8. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

You know what I already have been a growl user great app. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. The wierd part is once in a blue moon the notifier sound will go off.

I have 10.6 on my imac and my new 17" 2.93 gHz MacBook Pro

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can also have new mail call an Applescript that plays a sound. For some reason that works reliably, while the normal mail sound does not.

10. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I've never been good at those scripts do you know where I can get one

Chris

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Code:
    say "new mail"
    Here is what I use. Make a Applescript with the above text in and save. Then have Mail play the script when new mail is received. This script will say the words "new mail" when a mail comes in. You can change the wording to whatever you like.