New Mainboard for 2006 iMac 17" ???

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MiniMoke, Nov 15, 2011.

1. MiniMoke macrumors member

Hi,

My trusty 17" iMac from 07/2006 is dying.... (it's an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz)

Sound hasn't been working for the last 2 years, but I just plugged in a USB soundadapter. Apple reseller checked the machine and said it was a problem with the circuit board - they wanted nearly € 800 to replace it!

Then it started to have problems booting, sometimes it took 5 minutes, sometimes I had to relaunch it 3 or 4 times to get it running. Once up it worked very fine!

I checked the harddisk and it was corrupted. I put in a new drive as it was too small anyways, partitioned, reinstalled and was fine again.... for some days. Then did it again!

Now the disk will be corrupted as soon as reinstalled. The iMac works like a charm, if a bit slow, when starting and working from a Firewire or USB drive!

Can I get a new or used but good circuit board for a good price? Where can I get one, ebay (not very trusty) or Apple (too expensive)???

Has anyone a bit of help to offer?

Thanks.

2. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Apple is far too expensive.Some alternatives would be sending your logic board to a company like 365laptop repair, I've dealt with them before and they are reasonably priced for repair service. ebay is only "not very trusty" if you don't deal with the sellers that have little feedback and the item price is "too good to be true". if you go with a top rated seller that guarantees their product to work you'll be fine, and if anything should happen you will be covered with paypal, in the event of a claim ebay heavily heavily favors the buyer. here's a link to a toprated seller with a logic board like what you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMac-17-Ear...479?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae3840bef