New Mario Kart details

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
http://www.nintendoplayers.com/article.php?articleID=1016

Nintendo's latest UK-based Official Nintendo Magazine reveals some juicy new details for the Wii entry in the Mario Kart series. According to ONM, the game will support 16-player online play, and finally bring Mario Kart's Battle Mode online. Additionally, they mention a stunt mechanic, allowing players to pull off stunts while they play.

We've been looking forward to Mario Kart since the announcement at E3 2007, and it looks not to disappoint. Still, we dread re-entering all our friend codes.

16 players is by far the most racers to ever share a Mario Kart match; Mario Kart DS only allowed 4 players online, and the Mario Kart series traditionally only allows 8 players in single player.

16 player online play and online battle mode and in-game stunts, yays!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
All they need do is make Mario Kart DS but up it for the Wii. That game was perfect.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
There's lots of stuff I'd like improved upon in Mario Kart DS...I'm really happy they're possibly going in a more fresh direction than just a upport of DS.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
So excited.

I finally broke down and decided to buy a Wii this November (I get 3 paychecks in November, I only need 2 a month to pay rent). Extra money = Wii. It's too bad they will still be impossible to find.

I love Mario Kart. Plus 16 player online. Yessss.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
The stunt thing wasn't new to me, i saw some screens on a gaming blog of some character doing tricks and they mentioned that was a new component to the game. The online battle and 16 players races is a nice perk though! I can't wait for that game, it's going to be awesome.

Here are some other hopes of mine:

1. Fix the damn blue shell and put it back to the style of Mario Kart 64 where it hits everyone in a row in front of you, not the lousy way they changed it for Double Dash.

2. Bring back actually compelling battle mode! Double Dash's was absolutely trash! All they needed to do was remake the MK64 levels with updated graphics and weapons! Hopefully they'll remake block fort, that level was awesome.

3. While they're at emulating MK64's battle, why not remake some of the more memorable levels with updated graphics? :D

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
^ Yea I'm hoping they bring back some classic levels. The wide choice of tracks in the DS version really gave it replayability.

I suppose online=downloadable tracks? I just hope they hold their promise of free tracks (wasn't it Nintendo's original plan to ¨have the Wii glow blue when it downloaded a new track overnight¨?).

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Nope.

“The details printed in Official Nintendo Magazine 21 regarding Mario Kart Wii were healthy speculation on our part and are in no way an official announcement from Nintendo. We are sorry if we have mislead anyone. We do not set out to mislead our readers. ONM apologises profusely for any misunderstandings that this has caused.” - ONM
Ten Rules of Gaming:

Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM
Never listen to ONM

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Blargh.

They were so factual about it, too. I'm curious if Nintendo phoned them up and yelled at them for saying too much ahead of time.

Symtex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2005
If only Nintendo can get rid of the FREAKING friend code...GET A CLUE REGGIE !

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Nintendo announced that it would have 16 players at E3...

I'm excited but sad because I won't have time to play it :( Boo to professional school

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Nintendo announced that it would have 16 players at E3...
I'm very curious to hear when Nintendo announced this, since I was sitting in the audience and didn't hear them number the players.