Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Cutting the cord baby!

20 different subscriptions that keep going up in price... Plus internet service... end result is more money monthly than we ever paid for an all-in-one cable service.
The only way you'd pay more now than before with an all-in-one cable service is if you subscribe to multiple (more than 4 or 5) streaming services at the same time. Most people don't do that.

Key Takeaways

- 86% of people pay for more than one streaming service each month
- The average American spends $39 per month on streaming subscriptions

According to the survey findings, the average person subscribes to 2.8 streaming services — with nearly 10% paying for more than five streaming services at any given time.

There are clear generational divides when it comes to the number of streaming services the average person uses. Specifically, Baby Boomers statistically use the fewest streaming services while Millennials and Gen X are neck-and-neck when it comes to who uses the most.

Let's say you subscribe to the most expensive services and on a monthly (most expensive way vs annual) basis...

- Netflix premium 4K service at $19.99/mo
- HBO Max Ultimate service at $19.99/mo
- Amazon Prime at $14.99/mo
- Disney Plus (no ads) at $10.99/mo

That's 4 services for a total of $65.96/mo. But again, most people don't subscribe to that many services all at one time.

Add in broadband internet service for between $40 and $60 per month and you're still paying less than with an all-in-one cable tv and internet service. I looked into it almost 1.5 years ago and it was $122.05/mo for Spectrum cable TV and internet service under their 1 year promo price and $178/mo after promo. I'm sure it's more by now.

I pay $45/mo for 300Mbps fiber internet. I'd have to subscribe to 8 or more streaming services all at the same time with my fiber internet to end up paying what I would under Spectrum's regular $178/mo all in one cable tv and internet service.

Last edited:

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Looking at the video-streaming space, I know few other, once-promising, areas is tech that have turned into such an utter disappointment. No, actually I don't know any. Whatever Steve Jobs once meant with the nut he cracked - this ain't it. Even if we're never going to get an Apple Music for video, surely there must be a better model than this?
his "cracked the nut" was appletv channels, that no streaming company wanted to be a part of.

Reactions: zapmymac

anselpela

Suspended
May 17, 2023
Why would they ever get rid of the “HBO” brand name?
They've actually convinced themselves that the only thing they have going for them, their brand, hurts them more than helps them, when it comes to drawing subscribers to the other worthless content they've sunk money into buying.

Within a year it will revert to HBO.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I just downloaded the app. Looks like it brought over my HBO Max watch history but not Discovery+. My wife is going to have to figure out where she is at on all her cooking shows.
It did bring over my Discovery+ list to Max. So far I have not had a problem installing and logging into any of my devices.

Reactions: zapmymac

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I can't believe they're considering 4K to be premium now.

Even the cheapest new TVs are 4K now. 4K is no longer "special". Previously Netflix was the only company with this horrible idea; now HBO Max is joining them?

And these companies wonder why people pirate content.
I disagree with your logic. While most TV's sold now are 4K, many people still have 1080p TV's and even the new TV's display 1080p material. Given the crappy compression of 4K streaming content, sometimes I think 1080p is just fine and am happy with it. If I really cared about 4K quality, I would be buying UltraHD discs and not relying on streaming 4K.

Internet companies charge a premium for fast internet (Gigablast or whatever each ISP calls their fastest service), yet every computer and every router sold comes with the ability to use Gigabit speeds. But ISP's charge a premium for that service. Same thing here. No difference.

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2014
They've actually convinced themselves that the only thing they have going for them, their brand, hurts them more than helps them, when it comes to drawing subscribers to the other worthless content they've sunk money into buying.

Within a year it will revert to HBO.
You guys are just so astonishingly stupid and I cannot wrap my head around why. "HBO Max" both diminishes the HBO brand by associating it with a bunch of garbage content, and misleads the consumer into thinking it's just an HBO streaming service when it's actually much more. That's why the name is being changed, and this has been explained numerous times. No, they are not going to revert to HBO, because you're all going to stop crying within like a week. This isn't a real issue, it's a bunch of crybabies reflexively crying about change for the sake of complaining.

If you want to argue that HBO Max is a good name, you can go ahead and argue that Disney+ should actually be Marvel+, or that Apple TV+ should be Ted Lasso+, or that Netflix should be Stranger Things Flix. It's the same problem.

Last edited:

Aves

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
PA
I get my HBO through Spectrum and that is how I’ve logged into the HBO Max app. Looks like with Spectrum I now only get the Ad free plan and not the ultimate that includes 4K and Dolby atmos. I was told that they are “still negotiating” but at this time I can’t upgrade via Spectrum, I would have to purchase through Max directly
same boat here, HBO MAX app still working fine

Last edited:
No idea why all streaming Apps are blue. I wish the max App icon had a matte black aesthetic. Yeah, it's the little things that matter to me.

1684855727897-png.2206511

BGarza

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
San Francisco
I associate the HBO brand with higher caliber shows, and history has shown it to deliver even some great works of cinematic art.

Meanwhile, I associate MAX, with Cinemax…that late night place for schmucks to turn to, where softcore b-movies met bad saxophone solos

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
My understanding is that it doesn't have the full Discovery+ content, only "favorites" what ever that means. Perhaps I am wrong.
It's got all 15 seasons of Naked and Afraid so I'm happy. :)

Looking through the Adventure & Survival category, looks like most if not all the D+ shows are there.

Also, the Food Network stuff is there too (Triple D, Guy's Grocery Games, Chopped, etc.).

Not bad...

Last edited:

anselpela

Suspended
May 17, 2023
- Netflix premium 4K service at $19.99/mo
- HBO Max Ultimate service at $19.99/mo
- Amazon Prime at $14.99/mo
- Disney Plus (no ads) at $10.99/mo

That's 4 services for a total of $65.96/mo. But again, most people don't subscribe to that many services all at one time.
1. I have cancelled Netflix because f them.
2. HBO Max included with my AT&T wireless/internet account.
3. Amazon Prime included with my Amazon Prime subscription.
4. Disney Plus the only one of those I'm really paying for at $10.99.
5. Add Hulu into the mix because I'm paying $14.99 for that, hopefully soon a discounted bundle with Disney.
6. YouTube Premium which I just cancelled because I'm not using it enough, though may return since YouTube is almost unusable without it.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I associate the HBO brand with higher caliber shows, and history has shown it to deliver even some great works of cinematic art.

Meanwhile, I associate MAX, with Cinemax…that late night place for schmucks to turn to, where softcore b-movies met bad saxophone solos
Well they choose to remove "HBO" and use "Max" for removing any deals between video providers. For too long HBO cable subscriptions should have not gave a free pass to HBO Max but it did. People now have to face a maturing streaming industry that is recognizing profits are important, no longer do you have time to run the business as an experiment. It's also why ad-supported is played up as necessary to maintain their businesses vs premium subscriptions that get rid of ads or provide 4K streaming. Yes they are trying to survive.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Yes! let's confuse our entire customer base with two apps, jack up the prices, remove features, make 4K a premium, revert to our ****** custom player and lose our most recognizable brand. Who the f** approved this?
I use one app (MAX), am paying less, have shows from three streaming apps all in one app now, don't care about 4K or a customer player and am smart enough to know that MAX is HBO MAX. People aren't as stupid or demanding as you think they are.

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2014
Well they choose to remove "HBO" and use "Max" for removing any deals between video providers. For too long HBO cable subscriptions should have not gave a free pass to HBO Max but it did. People now have to face a maturing streaming industry that is recognizing profits are important, no longer do you have time to run the business as an experiment. It's also why ad-supported is played up as necessary to maintain their businesses vs premium subscriptions that get rid of ads or provide 4K streaming. Yes they are trying to survive.
No, that has nothing whatsoever to do with it and I have no clue why you think it does. Baffling assertion that's completely detached from reality. Changing the name doesn't get them out of those deals, and they can end those deals without changing the name. Contract law does not work in such a way that WBD can just be like "well it's not technically called HBO anymore, sucks to be you."

Also, there are literally people itt confirming they still get Max through other video providers. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.