Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
So I want to keep this to the level of people who are really just wanted a average Joe's review of the new MBP.

Background
  1. Heavy Windows user for 15+ years until 2 years ago
  2. Bought Early 2008 MBP from fellow motorcycle rider for 100 (had a couple issues which I resolved)- Added 240gb SSD and maxed out 6gb RAM and got a new battery and she worked great.
  3. After 2 years of use, I determined I was all in on MacBook and decided to wait out the 750 graphics until the new emerged.

NOW that you have my background I will provide my review. I knew going from the 08 to the 2015 was going to be drastic. Its basics Moore's Law. I opted for the maxed out 2.8ghz with 1TB drive and all the bells and whistles because I plan to have it for at a minimum 6yrs. And then get another and still keep this one as a older backup.

I have used Windows for ever and what really sold me on Mac was the fact I have NEVER in 2+ years had to clean or reinstall the OS due to clutter slowing it down and that was on a 2008. My 2008 worked better than my wife's 2014 HP Laptop she bought.

I am pretty computer savvy and have background and a couple degrees in computer related fields so the learning curve I can say was not much for me but I don't think it would be for anyone else either honestly.

I recieved the 2015 MBP yesterday and instead of using Time Machine, I started a fresh install of everything.

Apps installed were.

1. Adobe Master CC 2014
  2. MxPlayer
  3. Google Chrome
  4. XCode
  5. VMWare Fusion 7
  6. Alfred
  7. Evernote
  8. InsomniaX
  9. VeraCrypt
  10. Fantastical
  11. smcFanControl
  12. Skitch
  13. Office 2011
  14. Divvy
  15. Coconut Battery
  16. 1password

My plans for my MBP are Website Building, Logo Making, Photo and Video editing and just all around business needs. It will be my business computer for my personal business.

To start, getting everything set up was a breeze, and super fast. I created a 140GB veracrypt partition in about 5-7 minutes and a 20gb one in about 1 minute. Amazing to me honestly. I went through and tested everything and was simply buttery the way everything worked together. Created my Windows 8.1 VM using Fusion in basically no time, under 8 minutes for sure. Additionally, I really do like the new Force Pad as it works very seamlessly. I also have the Apple Magic Mouse but funny enough I rarely use it because the trackpad is just that good. This also was another selling point for me coming over to Mac. Never have I ever felt a like I could actually use a laptop without a mouse until I got with Mac.

I will start using it a lot more this week as I work to start building out my website and such using Wordpress or whatever else I choose. I am NOT a major computer gamer. I will probably install a couple small games just to hold me over through airport or whatever but I am NOT going to be sitting playing games on my mac when I could be doing it on my PS4 or whatever.

From the Average Joes perspective, I simply feel like I can now excel in finishing up my business plan and idea now because I feel like I have everything I need right in front of me to produce a solid product. Its simply nothing more I can see myself needing in a laptop or computer period at this time.

So if you are holding off for Skylake or whatever then be my guest but from a regular guy's perspective this new 2015 is amazing to say the least. I will never go back to Windows.

tyzjames

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
New maxed-out MBP owner here too:) Do you have any fan issues with it? My fan speeds up once an external monitor is plugged in. I'm trying to find out if its a common issue.

So I want to keep this to the level of people who are really just wanted a average Joe's review of the new MBP.

Background
  1. Heavy Windows user for 15+ years until 2 years ago
  2. Bought Early 2008 MBP from fellow motorcycle rider for 100 (had a couple issues which I resolved)- Added 240gb SSD and maxed out 6gb RAM and got a new battery and she worked great.
  3. After 2 years of use, I determined I was all in on MacBook and decided to wait out the 750 graphics until the new emerged.

NOW that you have my background I will provide my review. I knew going from the 08 to the 2015 was going to be drastic. Its basics Moore's Law. I opted for the maxed out 2.8ghz with 1TB drive and all the bells and whistles because I plan to have it for at a minimum 6yrs. And then get another and still keep this one as a older backup.

I have used Windows for ever and what really sold me on Mac was the fact I have NEVER in 2+ years had to clean or reinstall the OS due to clutter slowing it down and that was on a 2008. My 2008 worked better than my wife's 2014 HP Laptop she bought.

I am pretty computer savvy and have background and a couple degrees in computer related fields so the learning curve I can say was not much for me but I don't think it would be for anyone else either honestly.

I recieved the 2015 MBP yesterday and instead of using Time Machine, I started a fresh install of everything.

Apps installed were.

1. Adobe Master CC 2014
  2. MxPlayer
  3. Google Chrome
  4. XCode
  5. VMWare Fusion 7
  6. Alfred
  7. Evernote
  8. InsomniaX
  9. VeraCrypt
  10. Fantastical
  11. smcFanControl
  12. Skitch
  13. Office 2011
  14. Divvy
  15. Coconut Battery
  16. 1password

My plans for my MBP are Website Building, Logo Making, Photo and Video editing and just all around business needs. It will be my business computer for my personal business.

To start, getting everything set up was a breeze, and super fast. I created a 140GB veracrypt partition in about 5-7 minutes and a 20gb one in about 1 minute. Amazing to me honestly. I went through and tested everything and was simply buttery the way everything worked together. Created my Windows 8.1 VM using Fusion in basically no time, under 8 minutes for sure. Additionally, I really do like the new Force Pad as it works very seamlessly. I also have the Apple Magic Mouse but funny enough I rarely use it because the trackpad is just that good. This also was another selling point for me coming over to Mac. Never have I ever felt a like I could actually use a laptop without a mouse until I got with Mac.

I will start using it a lot more this week as I work to start building out my website and such using Wordpress or whatever else I choose. I am NOT a major computer gamer. I will probably install a couple small games just to hold me over through airport or whatever but I am NOT going to be sitting playing games on my mac when I could be doing it on my PS4 or whatever.

From the Average Joes perspective, I simply feel like I can now excel in finishing up my business plan and idea now because I feel like I have everything I need right in front of me to produce a solid product. Its simply nothing more I can see myself needing in a laptop or computer period at this time.

So if you are holding off for Skylake or whatever then be my guest but from a regular guy's perspective this new 2015 is amazing to say the least. I will never go back to Windows.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
New maxed-out MBP owner here too:) Do you have any fan issues with it? My fan speeds up once an external monitor is plugged in. I'm trying to find out if its a common issue.
You have the dGPU version correct? I believe when an external display is connected the dGPU is activated causing the fans to spin up (not that the iris pro cannot handle another display).

tyzjames

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2015
You have the dGPU version correct? I believe when an external display is connected the dGPU is activated causing the fans to spin up (not that the iris pro cannot handle another display).

Yup I have the dGPU version. I understand that there will be an increased load with another monitor connected, but surely not until the laptop starts sounding like a vacuum cleaner? At least that was the case for my PC laptops. I'm just wondering if this is a common issue or did I get a lemon. I'll get the fan RPMs later tonight.

bds120

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2013
No I haven't really hard them much. Only when I was installing a lot of things at once did I hear them. Looking at smcFanControl I stay around 120-130F

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Yup I have the dGPU version. I understand that there will be an increased load with another monitor connected, but surely not until the laptop starts sounding like a vacuum cleaner? At least that was the case for my PC laptops. I'm just wondering if this is a common issue or did I get a lemon. I'll get the fan RPMs later tonight.

Nope, this is common since Apple started using switchable dGPU's in their MBP's. Ever since my 2008 MBP 15, the fans would spin up with an external monitor connected. Unfortunately, the way Apple has GPU switching set up means that the dGPU has to be enabled for the external monitor to work. Try loading the gfxcardstatus app and then force the intel gpu to be only used. If you then plug in an external monitor, you'll see that the 2nd monitor won't work. The MBP that use an intel gpu only like the rMBP 13 and base rMBP 15 don't really get much hotter with a 2nd monitor connected.

Reactions: SackJabbit

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Nope, this is common since Apple started using switchable dGPU's in their MBP's. Ever since my 2008 MBP 15, the fans would spin up with an external monitor connected. Unfortunately, the way Apple has GPU switching set up means that the dGPU has to be enabled for the external monitor to work. Try loading the gfxcardstatus app and then force the intel gpu to be only used. If you then plug in an external monitor, you'll see that the 2nd monitor won't work. The MBP that use an intel gpu only like the rMBP 13 and base rMBP 15 don't really get much hotter with a 2nd monitor connected.

I agree with what you are saying and have also found this the case in the past with my macbook pro classics. I don't find this the case with my 2014 retina with 750m. I expected it to, and was so surprised by the lack of noise that I busted my watt meter out. The 2014 with 750m idles at about 15w, maybe a user could check with the new AMD card to see what it idles at?

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I agree with what you are saying and have also found this the case in the past with my macbook pro classics. I don't find this the case with my 2014 retina with 750m. I expected it to, and was so surprised by the lack of noise that I busted my watt meter out. The 2014 with 750m idles at about 15w, maybe a user could check with the new AMD card to see what it idles at?
Wow, then they fixed it with the Haswell rMBP as my 2012 gets loud after awhile when connected to my Dell U3014...

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014

When I plug mine into the thunderbolt display the fans behave much like the would when using the built in display.

I have however found the process of connecting/disconnecting from the thunderbolt display to be annoying at times. I can never seem to get the computer to sleep after using it with the lid closed on the thunderbolt display.

john0011

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
So new MBP /w M370X too. Not using an external monitor, but when GPU temps get above 68C the fans go into full blast mode. I'm questioning if it's the driver used in bootcamp win8. Does anyone game native on OSX and note that the fans "always" seem high when running something GPU intensive?

superlawyer15

Suspended
Sep 15, 2014
So new MBP /w M370X too. Not using an external monitor, but when GPU temps get above 68C the fans go into full blast mode. I'm questioning if it's the driver used in bootcamp win8. Does anyone game native on OSX and note that the fans "always" seem high when running something GPU intensive?

I game on occasion in OS X ...once the temp hits around 80c ...the fans come in full blast and cool it down to 60c ..then stick around at a mediumish rate to keep the temp at that level.

john0011

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Okay, that's the exact same results I'm having in winders. Any long time gamers with years of MBP share their thoughts of fan reliability? I'm coming from the 2014 Razer blade, which has a MUCH hotter (and faster)GPU but not experiencing this level of fan RPMs on the same game. It's fine to make a little noise, so long as I know that's "normal" for the MBP.

Game has a Mac client coming too, maybe that will fix it.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Apple must be getting more aggressive at keeping temps lower with this gen. I'm quite sure their warranty dept doesn't want another generation of fried dGPU's...

My 2012 rMBP15 with 650M will keep the temp at 90C or so while gaming and keep it there. (This is in bootcamp with very demanding games like Dragon Age Inquisition...)

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
Metal (announced at WWDC) will more than likely help fix that fan issue. The announcement of Metal being 50% more efficient than the current technology is going to help drastically. The UI runs on the OPENCL/GL architecture so this big of an improvement will help lower the fan speed issues people are complaining about as it will not tax the CPU/GPU as much in simple tasks.

SR 7

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
sorry if this is hijacking your thread as I don't mean to but wondering because i am in the same boat as needing a new mac and after todays announcements, is it safe to say that Apple won't be releasing any refresh or new macs for 2015?

I have the late 08' model and believe next year might be the year they change the mac up a bit appearance wise but seems like there was no announcement today regarding any MacBooks huh?

john0011

macrumors member
May 30, 2015
Interesting. So I have hit 90C too, it's just the fan seems to keep the same RPMs @65C ~90C. I think your right and they are just being "careful." I hope those fans last. Very interesting on metal, need to research.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Metal (announced at WWDC) will more than likely help fix that fan issue. The announcement of Metal being 50% more efficient than the current technology is going to help drastically. The UI runs on the OPENCL/GL architecture so this big of an improvement will help lower the fan speed issues people are complaining about as it will not tax the CPU/GPU as much in simple tasks.

We'll see when real world apps come out and use it... Apple's hype machine was in full play when they bragged about 'Memory Compression' a few OS X releases ago. I still had the same memory issues with a 4gb MBA when running photo/video apps. 4gb didn't magically become 8gb as Apple wanted you to believe.

Metal is just going to fragment OS X gaming further away even now. With the majority of PC Gaming devs putting the majority of their effort into XBONE/PS4, Consoles are now the primary and pc's are now secondary for porting games over. Macs are a distant 3rd. DirectX12 is already >50% more efficient than DirectX11.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
We'll see when real world apps come out and use it... Apple's hype machine was in full play when they bragged about 'Memory Compression' a few OS X releases ago. I still had the same memory issues with a 4gb MBA when running photo/video apps. 4gb didn't magically become 8gb as Apple wanted you to believe.

Metal is just going to fragment OS X gaming further away even now. With the majority of PC Gaming devs putting the majority of their effort into XBONE/PS4, Consoles are now the primary and pc's are now secondary for porting games over. Macs are a distant 3rd. DirectX12 is already >50% more efficient than DirectX11.

::Cough Cough:: Boot Camp ::cough cough::

john0011

macrumors member
May 30, 2015

I have to agree... Vast majority of Mac users I've come across know near zero about graphics and GPU performance; why do you think we have all these angry post of 13" MBP user who can't believe their laptop cannot handle anything GPU intensive... I don't know of devs will pick up on metal unless the market starts seeing Mac for graphics and/or gaming again like we saw in the late 80-90s

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I know, I was referring to playing games :)

The best thing for Mac gaming would've been for Apple to adapt Mantle as they're going all AMD anyway. At least you already have Mantle being supported by games like BF4. No gaming dev other than a few stalwarts like Blizzard are going to make Metal games. You also will have to wait 2-3 years before a 2015 game comes out for OS X native. (Just like years past, in other words, nothing has changed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.