New MB as desktop replacement?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by douglas, Nov 5, 2007.

1. douglas macrumors member

Now that the MB has been updated, I'm considering replacing my trusty G4 1.5 Mini with a Blackbook. It would be used 95% of the time a desktop replacement with my Dell 2005FPW and Apple keyboard (iLife, MS Office, some ArchiCad). But it would sure come in handy as a laptop on those rare occasions when I need portability. I do have a few questions however about the MB as a desktop replacement:

• how does the reliability and longevity of the MP compare to a Mini?
    • any overheating issues with the MP used constantly in clamshell mode?
    • MS Office would run under Rosetta, so would there be any significant speed gain/Loss as compared to my G4 Mini?
    • any issues wiht the mini DVI connection on the MB as compared to the regular DVI on the Mini?
    • will I ruin the battery if it is only very occasionally used?

Thanks in advance for your advice. Cheers.

2. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

I think the only thing that would be a concern would be te preformnce (as it uses a battery) but apart from that you are fine!

3. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Personally, I would never use a laptop as a desktop, because the cramped quarters retains way too much heat thus shortening the life of the components. My new laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM & 128MB video RAM runs really hot when I push it. I only use it for an hour or two every other day. For my heavyweight computing, I use a 2.4Ghz tower.

4. Hobbit macrumors member

I've used my macbook as a desktop for more than a year now and never had any issues with performane or heating (My macbook stays on most of the day)

One thing you need to bear in mind is your body posture if you were to use a laptop for long periods. My advice is to get yourself a flat screen monitor and a blue-tooth apple keyboard to use with your macbook.

5. Guy Incognito macrumors regular

I've been using a Rev. A blackbook in a similar configuration to the one you describe (though with a Dell 1905FP) for over a year. The battery is healthy and everything works well. You'll need a mini-DVI to DVI converter, but aside from that you should be all set.

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I use the MacBook as my only computer and have no complaints.

7. douglas thread starter macrumors member

Heat and it's effect on component life seems a logical concern, however many people have been using a MB as a desktop for long periods without any issues.

Has anyone had a MB fail due to overheating with a similar setup?

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Same here, I previously had a Sony desktop...