New MB: Battery and "Sleep" Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brettinlj, Oct 30, 2008.

1. brettinlj macrumors member

I'm new to Macs, so forgive me. With the default settings, will the new MB (I have the 2.0Ghz) fully "Sleep" when you close the lid? What about, when you leave it open and walk away for hours? I left the default settings for when the screen darkens and HDD turns off.

The reason I ask is that even if I close the lid, overnight my Macbook battery life will deplete COMPLETELY. I have left all the settings as default and it seems to not matter if I close the lid or not. Tonight I'll do an experiment and manually put it into sleep and see what happens.

2. MacBook08 macrumors regular

That's odd. I'm new to Macs too but I read in another thread that putting the MacBook to sleep overnight should only deplete about 10% of the battery. I usually turn off my MacBook at night but when I do let it sleep, for about an hour or so, the charge level typically remains the same. I'd really like to know what others think about this.

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

i have let it on sleep overnight(8 or so hours)...and i can tell you that it will take about 8-10 percent of your battery...

4. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

I wonder if there is a bug affecting the sleep cycle. My old MacBook could be in sleep mode (just by closing the lid) for days without significantly cutting into the battery life.

The other night I charged my new MacBook. Took it to work that day, and at the end of the day my battery was down to 50% without ever even using it.

MacBooks are designed to go to sleep and conserve battery life when the lid is closed. I'm wondering if there is a bug that makes it awaken periodically and is causing the battery to drain. It's only happened once for me.

5. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

Same Problem

I'm having the same issues and never experienced it with any other Mac laptop. Is there a process that is periodically turning on the computer? Maybe a program that is not completely shutting down?
    Any ideas? (I'll lose up to 50% battery life overnight!)

6. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Can you check the console for messages referring to a time when the mac should be sleeping? If it is waking up you should find some entry and maybe also identify what is causing the problem.

If you don't find any it may be a device not powering down during the sleep. Do you have something connected through USB?

7. Indydenny macrumors 6502

Indydenny

That was a GOOD idea! I was gone from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. today and nothing shows up in the Console during that time. However, the battery did lose some of its charge definitely.

I also do not have anything attached to any ports.

Thanks

8. jade macrumors 6502

I think the new macbooks use WAY more power when sleeping than previous generations do. I hope this will get fixed in a software update. It's annoying. Just woke mine from sleep (60-90 minutes) and 4% is gone!

9. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Did you try resetting the SMC, or similar power management on your macbook?
    Seems like there is an internal component that isn't going into sleep state correctly.