Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I don't game, I do most of the basic thing. Most intense things I do is stream lossless audio, and rip and stream high def H.264 videos. I would go with a 24" iMac, but I want to be able to have some portability and I enjoy sitting around the house with a laptop in my lap. Two things that I am unsure about: 1) the 13.3 macbook screen being to small and 2) the screens not extending past 90 degree angle (I am tall)

Budget has left me with the choice of either the $1299 base MB + 22"+ LCD external monitor for my desk, or spending the cash and simply getting the $1999 MBPro and living with that.

Any thoughts to this?

gyumilly

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
I don't game, I do most of the basic thing. Most intense things I do is stream lossless audio, and rip and stream high def H.264 videos. I would go with a 24" iMac, but I want to be able to have some portability and I enjoy sitting around the house with a laptop in my lap. Two things that I am unsure about: 1) the 13.3 macbook screen being to small and 2) the screens not extending past 90 degree angle (I am tall)

Budget has left me with the choice of either the $1299 base MB + 22"+ LCD external monitor for my desk, or spending the cash and simply getting the $1999 MBPro and living with that.

Any thoughts to this?

I was in the same position and I did go with 13.3" with 20" LCD. If I were to do it again, I'd go with MBP. LCD gets cheaper and cheaper every day. If you do H.264 especially, I recommend power of MBP.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
The MacBook screen can certainly be too small for some people, but for others it's fine. Considering the fact that you like to bring your laptop around your house the MacBook may be a better way to go... You'll save some money and can buy yourself a screen that will be comparable to the iMac. However, if you don't want to have to deal with docking your MacBook every time you want to see it on the bigger monitor you should definitely go with the MacBook Pro... I was in the exact same dilemma as you, and I went for the MacBook. I told myself that I'd buy a monitor for it, but I haven't. I do plan to get a monitor soon though, because the 13" screen can sometimes fall short. But the extra portability is a plus. Make sure that you look at the notebooks in person before you decide to buy. Also, look into refurbished MacBook Pros...

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
While normally I'd say get a MBP because they're more powerful, the new Macbooks have really closed the gap. The macbook pros are probably better in the long run; what kind of tv do you have?

macrabbit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
muncher - I am in the market for new TV actually...just sold my old one

Thanks for the input thus far. I initallly had wanted to stick to < $1500, but I will 'splurge' if it is worth the cost for my wants.

My first choice had indeed been the refurb'd MB Pro for $1349, which are tempting, but it's cache, FSB, memory specs are all worse than the new MacBook. It has a problematic graphics card, and I dont want discrete graphics (battery). The newer lines are built better as well.

$1299 MB + $300 24" LCD (e.g.) = $1599

or

$1999 MP Pro

gyumilly - are you speaking of the new computers? If so, why do you regret not buying the Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.