New MB glasspad wear?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iAppleONE, Nov 28, 2008.

1. iAppleONE macrumors member

Hello,

I'm just curious to know will the glasspad develop those grease spots over time like the ordinary plastic trackpad?

Thanks

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

i dont think it will, and if anything, since its glass, just use a damp cloth and wipe it down, or use the cloth that came with your macbook, should be fine with that...

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i've never actually gotten grease spots on a trackpad...do you have greasy fingers?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I just think about glass doors, people touch them all day with their grubby little fingers and there is never any permanent marks or residue left over, just spray them down with a bit of windex and it's like new.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

our bodies secrete oils, so in a sense we all have greasy fingers.

I would think normal maintenance will be fine. It should be like any other track pad.

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

My fingers are really greasy when I eat a bag of chips while using my new MBP :) The glass wipes clean but the crumbs that fall underneath the keys on the keyboard are hard to get out ;)

7. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

LOL:D:D:D:D

9. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No issues yet....heh

I figure since it's glass, it should clean with a quick wipe, no?

10. drew0020 macrumors 65816

drew0020

11. isonoise macrumors newbie

I don't think the gloss you see on trackpads is grease most of the time, is it? I thought that over time our fingers/thumbs were literally buffing the surface to a gloss.

As for the glass trackpads: I'd have to imagine, being etched glass, that the new trackpads would be substantially more wear resistant than normal plastic surface trackpads (I'm assuming the surface covering most trackpads is some sort of plastic).

Even if mine does start showing the gloss, I won't mind, as I'm used to it from previous laptops. That, and I don't much care about the patina from wear that a device I tote around everywhere gets.

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Does anybody know what is coating the trackpad? If it's any kind of paint, it'll show wear after a while...

13. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Why would you assume it's coated on the top? My guess would be that the silver color comes from the under side and the subtle texture you feel is from acid etching or some other method of frosting.

14. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

It says on Apple.com that pad is made from "etched glass".

15. amrk47 macrumors regular

after 3 weeks

my keyboard is showing slight grease/wear

and my trackpad looks brand new

16. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

It would be a good idea to invest in one of those iSkin-type keyboard protectors. I don't know if they have any that are molded for the new MacBook Pros, but I would imagine the old ones for the white chicket MacBooks would work fine.

http://www.iskin.com/product_kbrd_macbook.html

17. amrk47 macrumors regular

its allright, I have no problem with the keyboard wear

replacement keys are cheap anyway

18. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Oh I wasn't assuming, I simply didn't know... I knew it's made of glass but had no idea whether it was painted or what, but the etching makes sense...

That's true.. My space key is showing wear on the right side, I guess that's where i hit it the most, but so far no signs of ANY wear/grease marks on the trackpad... here's to hoping it stays that way!! :cool:

19. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

my keyboard is showing wear on selected keys. my trackpad seems okay compared to the keyboard. Marks can be wiped off.

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

If its straight up just glass on the track pad it should never wear due to use. I mean, glass is used to prevent abrasion in processing grain and sand. I mean if sand can beat on glass for months at a time then i doubt you'll wear out a glass track pad. Unless u have steel covered fingertips :rolleyes:

21. mosx macrumors 65816

It's not so much grease as it is just the plastic wearing out due to use.

If you notice on the plastic MacBooks and the keyboards themselves, the plastic starts to feel smoother. Thats because it wears down with use.

22. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Thank you. It amazes me how many people think it's grease.

That being said, covering your MacBook in cases and protective stickers and covers and keyboard condoms makes it look a lot more ridiculous than some slightly shiny keys.

23. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502