New MB - keeping it looking new

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Roller, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Roller macrumors 68020

I like the look and feel of the aluminum in my MB, but unless I'm willing to handle it with gloves, never set it down directly on a hard surface, and generally baby it, I'm afraid it's going to end up looking like my PB, which is scratched and dented on the bottom. In fact, the MB already has a smudge on the battery cover that I can't seem to get rid of.

I wasn't planning on buying a case or sleeve, but it looks like that's the only way to keep the MB looking good. Any recommendations?

2. Aniki macrumors regular

I recommend a case, it'll look nasty later. Just wait...

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I bought a neoprene sleeve at Best Buy. It's made by "incase" I like it alot. It was $35 I think

4. zotes24 macrumors regular

zotes24

have hard cases come out for the new aluminum macbook???

5. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

what about--can't remember the name of the product-- that cover you apply that is scratch-proof? I know that is the worst description ever, but I know you can get if for your iPhone.

6. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

you mean invisible shield???? I have it for my 3G and it sucks ass i would never put it on my macbook, and its not scratch proof!

7. sfroom macrumors regular

BestSkinsEver have skins for Apple laptops. They haven't announced a skin for the new aluminum MB and MBP's, but I expect it's just a matter of time. I love the product for my iPhone 3G, but applying it to your laptop does involve some compromise. It won't feel like anodized aluminum anymore! But it will keep it looking shiny and new, and will invariably increase the laptop's resale value down the road.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Yea, about that...

There's no way that they could get one, make a case, and get it out to stores already. Give them time.

9. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Don't use it.

Or buy a new one every 2 months. Both are totally viable solutions.

Seriously though, a Bestskinsever is one way; but it will have a "grippy" plastic texture. A hard case is another, but if dirt gets in, you'll have a scratched up computer.

10. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

I carried my 12" PB for 2 years.. it looked as good as the day I bought it when I sold it. Didn't handle it with gloves either... In my experience the aluminum macs hold the finish very well.

11. Roller thread starter macrumors 68020

The handrest/trackpad area and the top of my PB still look good after more than five years - it's the bottom that took a beating, mostly scratches from uneven surfaces.

I may get the BestSkinsEver (thanks, sfroom!) for the underside only, along with a padded carrying case.

12. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty OCD about aesthetics, but come on, it's the bottom of a notebook computer. Let it age gracefully.

13. 199708 macrumors 6502

cannot wait to through mine around use hte hell out of it. put stickers of my work on it.
    i want it to give me a good 3 years of pleasure.

14. ti2ibal1 macrumors member

I thought about buying one of those, but instead opted for a Fabrix case for $10 more.

I also always try to keep an eyeglass cleaning cloth around to wipe it down with.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

My 12" Powerbook is almost 3 years old and in nearly new shape. I kept it in a leather sleeve when not in use.

More important than what you cover it with, is how you handle it. If you don't want scratches on the bottom, don't push it around a table/desk. Pick it up gently, put it down gently. Get some kind of mat to rest it on where you work the most if need be. Close the lid when you're not using it. If you wear a ring, hold the computer with your other hand. If you are using it on your lap, pull your shirt over your beltbuckle so it doesn't contact the bottom. Little habits like that are what has kept mine in great shape.

Putting a clear plastic cover over anything is as tacky today as it was in the 70s, when grannies everywhere covered their couches with vinyl.

16. BoingoBongo macrumors regular

It seems like these things are pretty durable. They're made of solid aluminum, so there shouldn't be any paint wear or anything like that.

The neoprene sleeve sounds like a good idea. Any cases that actually stick to the computer tend to just look tacky and cheap (unless you're really hard on your computer and need the extra protection). What's worse, a scratch on your computer or a cheesy case that completely destroys it's aesthetics?

17. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

BestSkinsEver just posted the new Macbook Skins.

18. kellte2 macrumors regular

I saw that too...

I have one on my blackberry, love it.

No so sure i'd like it on this surface. Then again I feel like I'm one of the few suckers who already has a nick on the TOP of my MB. Not sure what I should do.

Are these things supposed to be durable? I couldn't care less about bottom, but being forced to take my watch off if pretty annoying when I'm using this thing.

19. 8theapple macrumors regular

I think the best option would be the neoprene cases that will cushion and act as a buffer when transporting it from place to place.

Best Skins ever, invisi shield etc. are possibly the worst invention ever. I bought one for my iPhone and you have to spray a solution on the product first to apply and it was just one big mess even with my great dexterity.

I agree, let the computer age gracefully. A neoprene case should be sufficient.

You want to let the naked sexiness of the design show.

20. batollo macrumors newbie

I have never understood why people destroy the beautiful design of any product. In my opinion a macbook is a article of daily use and if you put a case on it you can't enjoy the design anymore.

Just my opinion, I won't buy a case!

21. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Exactly. All of these hard-cases and covers and junk all make the MacBook look worse than a ding or scratch will.

22. sfroom macrumors regular

I beg to differ. Take a look at this BestSkinsEver installation on a Macbook Pro (http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=275476). I'm getting ready to order a skin for the refurb MBP I ordered tonight :):apple:

23. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

This doesn't look too bad, but I think I'd still prefer to leave it naked.

24. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

V2,2 MacBook Pro

I have a one year nine month old MacBook Pro. I carry it everywhere in a non-notebook leather briefcase. My baby looks nearly new on top. I use a monitor cleaning rag with a dan of water to cleant the kb and hand rest area once per week. That all looks exceptionally well. The bottom is annother story. It has small dings and a million scratches and looks terrible. I use to get really anal but then realized, it's the bottom of a notebook that I don't even carry in a computer case. I think the reason it gets dings in the bottom is the charger, power protector, or the mouse as I put all on the bottom side of MBP.

I am waiting for the new LED cinema display to start shipping to order my new MB. I just cannot see the sense in spending an extra $100 for Apple Care for the cinema display when it's included when on same receipt and purchase with any MB and Apple Care for $250.

I think the best thing to realize that if you take care of it, it will look good without all of those ugly hard or pointless Reynolds Wrap type shields.

Best wishes with it.

25. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Does these sleeves look bad? I don't think so. In fact, I think they look amazing.

That's not my photo, but I did just buy one exactly like that from these guys.