new mb.leo.wait for wwdc

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macfriend1, May 16, 2007.

1. macfriend1 macrumors regular

I wanna buy a macbook soon. I probalbly use it for my studies. (maybe little bit of final cut express) I need the book by late summer.
    there are new macbooks available.. somehow I'm afraid that there is still coming more.

my questions:
    - wwdc leo launch?! if so, I wait till wwdc and buy a macbook with leo of course. if not, I probably have to wait till october which is too late.. wondering how much the update tiger>leo will be?!
    - is there gonna be even a bigger (hardware) upgrade for macbooks at wwdc?

thanks.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Apple has said that developers will get a beta of Leopard at WWDC and that it will ship in October.

A lot of people hope that Santa Rosa (chipset), LED backlit displays, and possibly NAND flash hard drives will come to the macbook, but in my opinion it is unlikely that they will come to the macbook at WWDC, because they just got updated :)

3. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

is it worth waiting for santa rosa, led backlit (what's that?) and nand?
    actually I'm just waiting for leo... but beta version of leo, what does that mean? can I buy leos'beta version in stores then and it will get updated in october?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It means it's full of bugs (errors) and you won't be able to buy it. If you need the computer now, then buy it now, they have just been updated, but as with all technology wait until you need it as it is always gonna be updated.

5. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

aha. so leo (the real buyable version) will come in october and the macbooks won't update on wwdc...
    btw, ilife 06 should get an update. it's 2007.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Unless you pay A LOT for a developer membership :)

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well yes I suppose, I'm not convinced Leopard is worth $500 though ;).

EDIT:
    Your Post ====>

, O
    n/|\
    , /\ Eraserhead

8. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

They're updating the MacBook line on average every 6-7 months after taking the last update into account, which puts the next update probably in early 2008 (would put it right around MacWorld or a little earlier, actually).

So, if you're needing a MacBook before summer is over (I'll assume that's before the end of August), the odds are that you will get the same thing if you buy today than you would if you buy in August, because the line of MacBooks will probably not be updated again before then, and Leopard has been announced as being available in October. The only thing that could possibly come out is a newer version of iLife (though at this point, if its being held for Leopard, it's possible they may just pull a Microsoft and rename it iLife '08 and hold off on it for a while longer). There's also a possibility that the promotions will change, such as a free iPod with purchase, or something along those lines. If that's the case, you might get a better deal, but not a better computer.

However... if you're looking at a MacBook Pro as well, there's a good chance it will see another update before August (based on its averages, it's overdue now). So, you might want to wait on it.

So the long and short of it is, if you need it now, buy it. But based on averages, you're probably not going to get anything new before October. However, this is Apple, and none of us really know for sure. A new MacBook line could come out again tomorrow, for all we know.

9. macfriend1 thread starter macrumors regular

Richard is a good person. Thanks a lot for this information. Really appreaciated! It always takes time to write replies...

In this case, I'm waiting for WWDC and if nothing changes I'm gonna buy this book in middle June.