New MB or Refurb MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by msaz87, Oct 15, 2008.

1. msaz87 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the lowend new MacBook ($1,299) and a refurb MacBook Pro ($1,349). The price difference is pretty negligible and I'm not planning on doing anything too intense with the machine (no video editing, etc.) -- so I'm just looking for opinions on which would be the better choice.

Obviously, the new MB has that appealing "just-announced" feeling.. but the specs seem really similar. The HD size isn't important to me and most everything else matches up really closely...

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance!

2. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

If your considering the 1299 model (good choice), get the 1350 MBP. It's a way better deal. I want the 1599 model so a 1599 "clearance" MBP is a better deal for me, BUT! I'm getting the MB 'cause it's small and aluminum. I really hope to love it like all the 12" PB owners did / do theirs. That way I'll keep it for years.

3. brl25 macrumors newbie

Im struggling with the same decision. Also wondering if it's worth the extra 150$ (in canada) to get the refurb MBP with the 2.5ghz & 512 VRAM.

4. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

I would actually get the Macbook, then slap more ram in it with the extra money (I'd put it in myself to save money, of course). The DDR3 and the faster FSB will make it competitive with the refurb MBP, despite the slower CPU speed. Also, it'll be worth more in a few years.

5. dougnewman macrumors 6502

If portability is important to you, get the MB.

Otherwise, the MBP is superior.

6. interpunct macrumors newbie

interpunct

i'm trying to make the same decision. for me, size seems to be a big factor - in terms of portability, the 15" refurbished mbp is a good amount larger than the new 13" mb. i'm also a small person, so the 13" fits perfectly on my lap, whereas the 15" is a bit oversized. if that doesn't matter much to you, i would just break down the decision to what is important, size, keyboard, firewire, etc and try to decide from there based on the differences.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

It all depends on how portable you want a computer to be. The MBP is perfectly portable, although not quite as much as the MB. Here, the real issue of portability kicks in with the 17", but that is not under discussion here. Unless portability is the key deciding issue I would strongly recommend the refurb MBP; it is a superb computer, great performance, specs and has a terrific screen. Moreover, it has been tested and tried, and comes with Apple's warranty (tho' I'd also recommend adding Applecare to that).
    Cheers

8. nitra.candy macrumors newbie

Same Situation

Hey I'm also considering a new MB but the 2.4 Ghz one to a refurb 2.5 MBP. For me in Canada with edu discount the MBP is about $50 cheaper.
    Any suggestions?

9. brl25 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered a refurb MBP 2.5ghz 512VRAM for 1599 (CDN). Portability isn't an issue for me.