New MB Pro - adding RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by atljogger, May 5, 2008.

1. atljogger macrumors member

Hi -
    First time mac user here. I just picked up a new Macbook Pro (2.4ghz, 200GB MB133LL/A) and want to add an extra 2 gigs of RAM. Anyone have experience with adding RAM to this particular model? Which online site has the best compatibility for the new MBP's? OWC, Newegg, Crucial, Kingston?

Thanks,
    R

2. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Also. I haven't put AppleCare on the MBP yet. Should I wait to upgrade RAM until after AppleCare? I am worried about voiding the warranty by doing a self-install.

3. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I have that same model and added 4gb of ram to it last week. The little booklet that came with your MPB shows how to add the ram. It is a matter of removing 3 small screws ( 0 screwdriver), taking out the old ram and adding the new. It takes all of 5 minutes.

I have purchased ram from OWC and Newegg. Both quick delivery and great prices.

Adding ram yourself does not void your warranty.

4. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Bobioden. Which brand of RAM did you go with? I notice both those sites have several options to choose from.

5. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

From OWC I just went with their brand. From Newegg, they had Crucial on sale when I was shopping, so went with that.

Here is from OWC: $91.95 for 4gb
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

From Newegg:
    Great price:$68.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208404

Crucial: 2x 50.99 =$101.98
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148087

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

Crucial has RAM that is highly reliable. I use it in desktops like my Mac Pro, but for my MacBook Pros, I've always used OWC RAM with good results - never had a bad stick from them.

It won't void your warranty, but of course Apple won't warranty the RAM itself. Note that you'll have to buy 4 gig of RAM (2 x 2 gig), not just two, since you currently have 1 gig in each of the two slots.

Relative to AppleCare, I didn't want to shell out $350 for the MBP, but I did find Applecare for $200 on ebay. Look at this ebay auction, for example...

7. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

eBay is a great place to buy Applecare. I paid $219. He just emailed me the Registration Number and I was good to go.

8. Hmac macrumors 68020

I actually received the physical shrink-wrapped package with the registration number inside. Either way works great, IMHO, although I confess I was a little uneasy about it. However, the seller shipped right away, I entered the registration number at the web site and it went through fine. 2-3 weeks later, Apple sent me the certificate, so I'm good to go and saved $150.

9. Shabbis macrumors regular

I installed the 4GB kit from OWC in my Penryn 2.5GHz about three weeks ago and haven't had any issues. OWC has a lifetime warranty on their memory as well.

10. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

Great. Thanks. I was planning on buying AppleCare through Amazon for $300. I am skeptical of Ebay AppleCare but that $200 is a great deal. Any tips on how to identify whether Ebay AC is legit or not?

11. Yves Creebs macrumors newbie

I've never had any issues with the Crucial RAM. I've had to send back 2 chipsets from RAMJET because of RAM failure (+ RAMJET is more $$$ tan most). RAMJET replaced the RAM quickly with no questions or problems, but i prefer to just have RAM in my system that doesn't fail.

So, now i buy all my RAM from Crucial, including all 4 gigs that's in my MBP and 10 in my Mac Pro, and never a hiccup in performance.

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

Usual way...the seller's reputation.

13. TaylorB macrumors regular

I've used Crucial twice for MBP ram and they have been great. I did have a problem with one chip, but they did overnight a new one and I mailed them the messed up part. So, overall Crucial has helped me and been great with customer service.

14. mejia67 macrumors newbie

I need help also

I just purchased a MacBook pro with 2.16 ghz 1gb and would like to upgrade to 3gb which is the max. So my question is do I just buy a 2gb or what???? Thanks

15. Hmac macrumors 68020

You'd have to look, but it's likely that your 1 gig RAM is installed in your machine as two 512 gig SODIMMs. That being the case, to get to 3 gig RAM you'd have to buy 3 gigs and toss the two 512's. A 1 gig stick in one slot, 2 gig stick in the other.

16. atljogger thread starter macrumors member

A couple of the Ebay sellers said they just send an AC activation code through email? Is this all you need to authorize AppleCare? I thought there was a box w/ stuff that came along w/ it.

Thanks

17. Hmac macrumors 68020

The box is mostly a bunch of paperwork in the usual languages, but it does include the hardware diagnostics utility disk. Presumably, if you have a problem, you run the diagnostics utility and report its findings to the Applecare technician that you call on the phone and wait for on hold for 25 minutes. IIRC, that disk is available separately somewhere. In my case, the download was the same price as the physical shrink wrapped box, so I opted for the latter. I don't actually know much about that diagnostics disk/program. I've had Macs since 1984, but I've never had a problem where I had to call Apple for assistance, and have never had an AppleCare or other warranty claim.

Other than the diagnostics disk, the only other thing of significance in the box is the multi-digit registration code.

18. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

I always go with Crucial, did it for my MBP and PowerMac G5. No issues, the memory works great.

19. notheroldtech macrumors newbie

RAM Upgrade

I have a MBP which has the 3G ram limit. I was wondering if anyone has upgraded from 2 to 3 and what were the performance results? The same for 2 to 4.
    It was suggested to me there might be improvement in some places and loss in others on the first scenario due to the mis-matched ram causing the system to not be able to use interleaving. In the other, what are the possible and/or real results (other than spending money on something you can't fully use :mad:) with a matched pair of 2s.

Thanks.