new MB vs MBP 13

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by warstomp, Oct 20, 2009.

1. warstomp macrumors member

So i recently ordered a refurbished MBP 13 incher, with base items however i was planning on swapping out HD/Ram w/e to like 500 and 4GBs, now should i cancel my order and get a new MB or should i stick with my order and keep the Refurbished MBP 13. And one more question does apple ship at various times of the day or do they ususally ship everything at one time. ( since its refurbished i also assume it ships within the US?)

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Personally I wouldn't.

Do you care about Firewire, SD card and better screen?

If yes then buy the MBP, if no then buy the MB.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How does the refurb's specifications stack up against the current offerings.

I'd say that barring any major differences stick with the refurb

4. warstomp thread starter macrumors member

i may or may not use firewire depending on situations but i suppose since its better to have one than not id prefer it and i can use SD cards since i use mini SD's quite a bit. I also do prefer the screen and look of it much more in addition to the back lit keyboard. And to answer your question the specs are exactly the same except the new MB has a larger hard drive which i dont really care about since i was going to update it regardless.

5. brendu macrumors 68020

id stick with the pro, your not gaining anything other than the HDD space on the new macbook, your losing the aluminum body and the backlight keyboard.. firewire isnt too important to non pro users but SD card is nice, and the big kicker is the ability to have up to 8 gigs of ram as opposed to 4 in the MB... that will guarenteed extend the life of the macbook pro over the new macbook.

6. warstomp thread starter macrumors member

anyone have an idea on the shipping its my first mac so im anxious =/

7. 1creator macrumors member

Ordered my configured MBP on Sunday 1:40am. ETA is Friday.

8. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

One thing to consider is that they may be updating the MBPs fairly soon now that the Macbook has been brought up to a similar level. Obviously this could be a gamble and you might be waiting for months but it's something to consider.

But I suppose if you're going refurb it doesn't really matter...

9. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

I thought the new MacBooks now had a maximum capacity of 8GB RAM also? Or have I misread?

AnDy

10. googdot macrumors regular

What do you mean by better screen? The glass in front of it? Apple has been quoted as saying the LED screen in the new MB and 13" MBP are one and the same.

New MB can support up to 4GB RAM - MBP's can do 8GB.

11. andylyon macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Cheers for the info!

12. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Could you please post that quote. Same size, LED backlit but same as MBA & MBP? It would be a departure from the Apple norm.

13. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

That's what I was thinking. I don't see why Apple would put the higher quality screen into the Macbook. It might be a little better than the older Macbook in terms of lighting but overall quality is probably much lower compared to the MBP.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong though.

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I would swap it and get the brand new none second hand Macbook. Oh and I have yet to see or read one piece of factual proof and evidence to state the screen is not the same. So until you do ignore all these people stating the LCD's are different as fact because it's fudge unless anyone can PROVE otherwise?

15. PCtoMAC? macrumors member

I recently got a 13 MBP and I wouldn't trade it in for the new MB to me it doesn't matter if they are basically the same computer, to me the premium for the MBP is for the aluminum case. Its like paying more for the black MB in the past it just looks better. Thats my shallow opinon....

16. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Apple didn't advertise the difference between the older Macbook screen and the 13" MBP either but there was a massive difference. I would assume that this is still the case until proven otherwise. Surely that is the most logical position.

I suppose we should wait until they start filtering down to Apple stores or websites so we can properly compare the two.

17. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

^^^^^^ Exactly. Apple would have touted increased gamut, viewing angle etc. if they were there. They rarely miss a beat on advertising selling points.

Having bought my fair share of Apple products, the only way to be certain is when they get out and people start posting display manufacture data.

Similar to when the MB went unibody and everyone assumed the unibody MB was using the same display as the MBA and it in fact was using a crappier panel from the plastic MB.

18. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Like I said, your all 'Assuming' it's a different screen but as I also said you have no proof of what you say so it's fud. End off until you can prove otherwise. It makes more sense to 'Assume' Apple uses the same screen in every 13" model because it's far cheaper to them to buy the stock that way.

19. sharp65 macrumors 6502

lol? You should probably follow your own advice. You are the one who needs to prove it's the same.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

While it is all speculation, I would venture to guess the MB panel is going to be inferior to that of the 13" MBP and the MBAirs. Why? Because I was one who bought a 13" unibody MB before it was given the silent update to the panels and then the dubbing of the pro moniker. It was a seriously crappy screen that was "within spec" according to Apple Geniasses.

Again, speculation, but I'd probably put some money on the fact that the panel in the MB won't be quite what the panel is on the 13" MBP today. That reason alone is why the new MB is not attractive to me. On paper though it actually kind of is. Apple doesn't advertise panel quality though, well not really.

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

I'm not assuming it's either the same or not and like I posted before, until someone has one in their hands and posts the panel manufacture, no one knows.

I think you are woefully uninformed to think that it is the same. To go out and buy one on assumption or stating it's the same because you want it to be is more painful than waiting for actual facts to appear.

You have no facts to say it's the same display as the MBP. I've never said the displays aren't the same. I've simply stated that it would go against Apple's history. A little research goes a long way.:rolleyes:

22. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't someone just go out and buy one? :p

But really, there are already quite a few reviews out there on the web, I know that Gizmodo and CNet both have their own reviews out, and really every hour, there is a new review from a reliable site. And if not, I know its not practical, but go to your local Apple Store and do a side by side comparison with MBP and a MB.

That or we wait until someone on these forums has the new MB and a MBP to do a comparison with...

23. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Until real data comes in, Gizmodo review says they're close but not the exact same. An upgrade from previous MB for sure.

Gizmodo:

24. vant macrumors 65816

Thus the panels are slightly different as predicted.

25. googdot macrumors regular

Here is where I read it:
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=8701

Hmmm...a bit misleading. Maybe not exactly the same then? We need someone to check!