New mb vs. new mbp vs. 3.06 refurb imac

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by glowjangles, Oct 19, 2008.

1. glowjangles macrumors newbie

I'm a graphic designer by day, but would like the option to start producing music (logic pro maybe?) and will most likely use after effects, final cut, and some quasi demanding games. I've been battling with the decision all weekend. Should I wait for the new imac refresh? The prices for refurb imacs are very sexy right now. The mb has been looking very tempting too. I really enjoy the size. Can the mb push pretty much everything I need it to without hiccups? Will I need to just take the plunge into pro-ville? Any suggestions based on specs and experience?

2. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

I really depends on a few things:

1. Do you need portability?
    2. Do you need power? (Yes, in other words - not the Macbook)
    3. What are you going to be doing with the apps listed above?
    4. etc. etc.

I suggest getting either the Macbook Pro or an iMac. Refurb or not, I don't know.
    Further input needed.... :D

3. sfroom macrumors regular

Those sweet iMac refurb prices will get even sweeter when the iMacs get updated (within the next 3-4 weeks according to AppleInsider). Do you have an external monitor and speakers you could plug into a laptop to use it as a desktop?

The best deal Apple has right now is the refurb Macbook Pro. If you're looking for a portable, unless you really need a small machine, it's totally the way to go.

That being said, I sold my 24" iMac back in April, and boy do I miss that machine.

In summation, if you decide to go portable, pick up a refurb MBP. If you decide to go desktop, wait for the iMac refresh, then decide between new and refurb.

Hope this helps!

4. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

From the sounds of it, a Macbook may not be your best choice. Music and especially video apps are increasingly resource demanding, and as you become more advanced, you'll likely want even more sophisticated and demanding apps. Final Cut this month...Motion in 3 months.

I'd say either wait it out for a new iMac (or ideally a Mac Pro!), or get a refurb Macbook Pro now, and use the money you'll save towards the desktop you'll inevitably need if you're serious about music and video creation. Then you'll have a nice current desktop with plenty of horsepower, and a solid notebook that you can use for location based work.

Everyone who I know who works with music/video/print has a desktop AND a notebook.

5. Balty macrumors 6502

Balty

At least! If not multiple of each. :cool:

6. glowjangles thread starter macrumors newbie

2 macs? Yes please.

You make a very compelling argument mcdj. I suppose I'll just get over the fact that the macbook pros are a little more hefty. From what I'm feeling from the previous posts, refub mbp are recommended over the new mbp. Any particular reason besides price? I'm using the early 08 at work right now. I really enjoy it's speed, sleek look, etc (but not weight). I guess I just got caught up in the hype of the new books. Damn you awesome apple marketing.