New MB with flashing red pixels; am I seeing things?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GwoNegLa, Oct 17, 2008.

1. GwoNegLa Guest

After my Dell laptop's battery kicked the bucket a few days ago, I used the failure as an excuse to go out and buy one of the new Macbooks. I bought the lower-end new MB for $1299.

I got an adapter to use DVI to hook up my MB to a Dell S2409W monitor that I bought a few months ago. When I hooked up the monitor, however, there was a random pattern of flashing red pixels; it looked like some sort of red static. When I shut my MB, there is significantly less static, but a few red pixels pop up from time to time. Is my MB capable of running 1920x1080? Do I have a problem with the GPU in my laptop? Is there something else going on?

From talking to the people at the Apple store, it sounded like I wouldn't have any problems running a 24" external monitor at 1920x1080, and AppleCare said it's probably a compatibility issue, but I don't know how that would explain the difference between running both screens and just the monitor.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

pull out the plug and blow out any dust on it and do the same for the ports and also try a restart with the ext. monitor plugged in on the macbook. it might just be adapter. ask for an exchange at the apple store for a different dvi adapter.

3. GwoNegLa thread starter Guest

"Not compatible"

I went to the Apple store to see what they'd have to say. In short, they said it's not the Macbook's fault, it's just not a "compatible" monitor. I talked to them in quite a bit of detail why I thought there might be a different problem but in the end, they told me I could buy a new $800 cinema display that would definitely work. In short, if it works with an Apple monitor, then the laptop is not "defective."

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I almost bought the same monitor. The resolution is 1920 x 1080, regular DVI is 1920 x 1200. You're asking for trouble by using the HDTV output. Most graphic cards don't support 1920 x 1080, rather 1920 x 1200.