Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camhabib

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2008
Just got a MBA 11" and so far I love it. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1) Does anyone notice that when you first start up the computer, you can hear the fan spin up? I can't hear it running under normal use, only when I first start it up. Just want to make sure it's normal and not a loose fan or something.

2) Keyboard protectors. I picked up a Speck SeeThru case and love it. Only problem is when used in conjunction with an iSkin keyboard protector, the computer doesn't close all of the way. I ordered a Moshi one, since it stated it was thinner, but didn't know if it would be enough.

BeyondtheTech

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2007
I've really put my Air 11" through its paces, and I've yet to hear a fan. Maybe it's THAT silent! Honestly didn't know there was one. Hope mine is working! :)

donster28

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Just got a MBA 11" and so far I love it. I have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with.

1) Does anyone notice that when you first start up the computer, you can hear the fan spin up? I can't hear it running under normal use, only when I first start it up. Just want to make sure it's normal and not a loose fan or something.

2) Keyboard protectors. I picked up a Speck SeeThru case and love it. Only problem is when used in conjunction with an iSkin keyboard protector, the computer doesn't close all of the way. I ordered a Moshi one, since it stated it was thinner, but didn't know if it would be enough.

1) I have not heard mine since I got it 2 days ago. I believe it's just an exhaust fan and it's really silent compared to normal fans. If you really want to know if it's working, download iStat Pro and it will give you an RPM reading. In normal use this would be around 2000 rpm.

2) I never used KB protectors and from experience with a few friends of mine who use them, they could sometimes harm than do good. If you don't constantly clean it, dust and debris can sometimes get caught in between the
protector and keyboard and with every press, any hard dust can scratch or imprint on the keyboard. This might not be true to all protectors but if you really need one, make sure it's been tested...Google?

namtaB

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2011
I do hear the faintest noise when I open the lid and it has to be dead silent for me to actually hear it. I can't really describe it, but it doesn't sound like anything is wrong. It comes on as soon as I open the lid and that's it gone. Istat tells me everything is ok, so I wouldn't worry about it. I have a 13" MBA.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Anyone use a New MBA to Play Games?

I am trying to see if the new 11 or 13 will allow me to play COD 4, or some of the more recent games. I do not game a lot but it is a good thing to do on a rainy boring day and if I get one for me I want to be able to play, if not I will go towards the 13" Pro

chenry

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Not sure about CoD4, but I play CounterStrike Source and as long as I don't whack the quality up to the max its perfectly playable.

Colin

raymondkerr

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
my fan comes on for a second or two when I first bootup the 11" air. but after it has booted the thing is almost silent unless I've been doing alot on it for hours, in which case I have heard the fan come on after extensive use. But it doesn't appear to be a problem.

However I am a little concerned about the battery. How long are users getting from their 11" air's battery ? For general websurfing/email/youtube videos, I'm lucky to be getting 3 hours. I have let the battery run down completely and recharged fully several times, I've had the computer 2 weeks now and the battery doesn't really look to be improving, I though the 11" was meant to get at least 5-6 hours under normal conditions ?

Should I be concerned ? I've switched of bluetooth, using it on wifi, noticed that the battery indicator under time, is very vague, changing the display to percentage, and about 15 minutes of use the battery can go from 100% to about 80%.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
1However I am a little concerned about the battery. How long are users getting from their 11" air's battery ? For general websurfing/email/youtube videos, I'm lucky to be getting 3 hours. I have let the battery run down completely and recharged fully several times, I've had the computer 2 weeks now and the battery doesn't really look to be improving, I though the 11" was meant to get at least 5-6 hours under normal conditions ?

Should I be concerned ? I've switched of bluetooth, using it on wifi, noticed that the battery indicator under time, is very vague, changing the display to percentage, and about 15 minutes of use the battery can go from 100% to about 80%.

Youtube and other flash based video tends to cut battery life drastically (by about half, I've noticed). With general websurfing/email, I can get abt 5-6 hours, but if I start streaming video, the time remaining on my battery drops to maybe 2-3 hrs. Install Click-to-flash, it should noticeably increase your battery life (works by disabling flash videos, ads and popups, until you click on them to activate). If all else fails, take it back to apple and get it switched out.

Edit: I think click-for-flash is just for safari, so if you use firefox, you may need to look into something else. Also, apparently the latest release of adobe flash is supposed to be better on battery life, but I dunno if it makes a big diff.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.