New MBA 11 - Toshiba SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by urbis, May 7, 2014.

1. urbis macrumors newbie

Jun 18, 2013
    Leeds, UK

Bought an early 2014 base model MBA, checking the SSD and found:

Model: APPLE SSD TS0128F

Seems to be a Toshiba SSD, not seen much reference to these on here... are they any good and how do they compare to other versions?

Also, how would I check the screen, or is that not relevant on MBA?

2. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Mar 2, 2010
    Posts 104 & 105.

Toshiba SSD = slow and buggy
  3. phositadc macrumors 6502

Dec 9, 2012
    I posted a similar thread awhile back: I also posted this thread at a different site: Didn't get much feedback in either.

At the time, I could find almost nothing on the Toshiba SSD, so I think they were/are pretty rare in MBAs. Mine was also an 11".

I ended up returning it. I know a lot of people don't think it's a justifiable basis to return, but I was seeing performance of 500 write / 600 read on the Toshiba, versus 700 write / 700 read on the Samsung. That's a 20-30% performance hit. Not to mention, the Toshiba SSDs have a history of reliability issues. Maybe that won't be an issue today, but who knows. I wasn't satisfied knowing that I had paid the same price for 20-30% less performance, and potentially less reliability, than the Samsung drive. Apparently that does not bother a lot of people though.
  4. cube macrumors G5

May 10, 2004
    I never knew anything about Toshiba SSDs, but the day they announced they were buying OCZ, I transferred my avoidance to them (in addition to any Sandforce SSD stuff, now LSI).
  5. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2013
    I have the sanDisk SSD and it's slow. Like 2/3 the speed of others.
  6. ebolamonkey3 macrumors regular

Apr 9, 2011
    What programs are you guys using to check disk speed? I have the SD0128F, now I'm worried :(
  7. drsox macrumors 65816

Apr 29, 2011