New MBA 11" with Dell U2410 and Soundbar

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by JulesK, Aug 24, 2011.

1. JulesK macrumors 6502

Has anyone set up their MBA 11" (latest version/Lion OS) with a Dell 2410 monitor with the Dell Soundbar? I'm trying to figure out whether it is possible to connect the monitor and have the audio go to the speakers without having to attach the speaker cable directly to the computer. It sounds like the way to go is with a MDP to HDMI cable, but I wanted to see if anyone has this setup, and how it has worked out.

Many thanks.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The soundbar is an analog device, and separate from the monitor at that, so an hdmi connection from the laptop will not supply it sound. You will need to connect it to the analog audio port (headphone port) to get sound.

3. minnus macrumors 6502

It should work - I don't have the sound bar, but I wanted to buy one. The sound bar plugs right into the Audio Out 3.5mm jack on the U2410. Any sound coming into the monitor via HDMI would be piped out to the sound bar.

I just hope your picture isn't fuzzy like mine!

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Interesting! I did not know that. Learned something new! :D

5. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Any reason for the fuzziness? Are you connecting using HDMI or the display port input? That monitor seems to get great reviews, so I'm very curious.

Many thanks for the initial response. I'd get the Apple Thunderbolt Display if it weren't so big, and I'm trying to find something comparable in terms of preserving deskspace and reducing the number of cables I'd have to run. I was hoping this was an option. Any other monitor recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

6. minnus macrumors 6502

Ah, my display is flawless on my desktop. Unfortunately, I returned my Air and can't troubleshoot as to why it was fuzzy on my U2410. I had used a cheap Mini-Display Port to HDMI adapter and connected it via HDMI. I honestly only tried it for a few minutes and never tried since. It might have been that my adapter wasn't able to pump out 1920x1080 -- though, I tested it on my projector a 1920x1080 (native 720p though, so its downscaled) looked great.

I will be receive a new Air either Friday or Monday, so I can do more testing then.

I'd be interested if you run into the same fuzzy issue.

7. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I don't own this monitor, and was considering purchasing it, but don't want to do that unless I'm fairly sure this is going to work. I'm shying away from the Thunderbolt display simply because of the size, but I may go check out the Cinema display at the local Apple store and re-assess. Having all the data connected via a single cable and then the power seems really attractive. I don't want separate speakers.

On the other hand, the Thunderbolt monitor is really expensive!

8. minnus macrumors 6502

If I didn't have 3x U2410 in NVSurround, I would have likely gotten the Thunderbolt display.

I also don't recommend this display based on the fact that if you intend on using Mini-Display to HDMI, the max supported resolution (based on adapter specs) is 1080p. The U2410 runs 1920 x 1200 natively, and it is always ideal to run a monitor at its native resolution. I would recommend cheaper IPS monitors that run at 1920 x 1080. We pay a huge premium at the moment for higher resolution.

If you were really interested though, I will be receiving my new Air tomorrow, so I can attempt to use my monitors again.

9. Iniura macrumors newbie

I've got the u2410's to and I also would like to know how it works.

Why do you want to connect the display trough a MDP to HDMI adapter and don't you use an MDP to DVI-D adapter?

I want to hook up my Air i5 to my dell u2410 and I thought the way to go was with the MDP to DVI-D adapter, what are the advantages disadvantages vs using the HDMI connector?

As of getting rid of cables from your monitors JulesK I would suggest you use wallmounts and wirehiders/cordcovers.

I just finished attaching my Dells to the wall and I've won a huge amount of desktop space back because the Original Dell stands are pretty big.

[​IMG]

10. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the replies

I went down the HDMI-connection road in hopes of having one less thing to plug into my MacBook Air (as the Dell Soundbar could be mounted underneath the monitor and the sound would output from the monitor to the speakers with the proper cable connection). It's now starting to sound like more bother than it is worth, and getting a Dell U2311 (much cheaper; connect with MDP to DVI-D) and some good speakers may be the answer.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Very helpful!

11. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

the problem is the hdmi input ... use dvi for a computer monitor and hdmi for a hd tv... theres a big difference but i cannot explain it

12. minnus macrumors 6502

You are correct and it is very weird. Plugged in HDMI - fuzzy. Attached an HDMI to DVI converter - looks great. At least I know its not the cheap mini-display port to HDMI converter that sucks. It is still very strange, considering that the U2410 looks great with say, the XBox 360 or PS3 via HDMI.

Hmmm

Ah, one thing I must see if whether or not my DVI convertor or the U2410 can support sound. If it does, it would be great!.

13. JulesK thread starter macrumors 6502

Please let us know if it supports sound. From what I've read, you need a DVI-I, and a DVI-D, connection, but I truly haven't a clue. Another option would be (hopefully) to connect some USB speakers to the USB ports on the monitor, and run a USB cable from the Air to the monitor. Would be another cable, but no worse than a Cinema display, but you would have to find room on your desk for the speakers.

Many thanks.

14. DaLurker macrumors 6502

Its not the HDMI Adapter, its a software issue in Mac OS X. When you use a MDP -> HDMI adapter OS X thinks the Dell U2410 is a Television for some reason and the setup causes it to be really fuzzy. You can confirm this by opening the System profiler and viewing your display properties. This issue also appears with MDP -> DP.

The MDP -> DVI does not have that issue.

Iniura, how did you get two U2410 connected to your MBA?

15. Iniura macrumors newbie

I did not get it connected yet, I am looking in to it because I want to in the future, but I read on this forum that it is not possible to attach 2 external displays to your Air because the GPU only supports up to 2 screens, one is used for the Air screen itself and one for a external screen. This might be a option http://www.trittonusa.com/products/u...deo_Technology but I havent looked into it in detail yet.