New MBA 11inch battery life question?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rc1988, Jul 29, 2014.

1. rc1988 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, so I just opening up my brand new MBA 11inch, and as soon as I booted it up, I immediately turned on the battery percentage indicator, which revealed a 65% battery life....I started to use it for no-more than 40 minutes, and i noticed the battery was now at 55% Could this be because it's on its initial charge?

2. supermoix macrumors newbie

Ay that discharge rate you are looking on a 6.5+ hours on battery life, which is more or less normal on an 11 taking in account you haven't done yet a full battery cycle of charge-discharge yet. After several moths that's what I am getting out of mine.

Don't expect the battery life of a MBA 13 on an 11. Battery life will be impacted on how you use it.

3. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

That is the kind of battery life I get with the screen at high brightness and streaming movies over wifi. If I reduce brightness and/or do something that uses less intense network activity, it is much longer. At low brightness, watching a movie on the SSD, light web browsing, working in MS Office, it can be 10 hours or even more.

Very happy with battery life on my 11" 2013 MBA, it is substantially better than my previous 13" 2011 MBA.

4. yosemit macrumors regular

A brand new mac may spend energy building disk index.

I just watched Avatar the movie on my 1-year old Macbook Air i7 during a flight. The battery is 72% left after playing the 162-minute movie, so it's about 9.6 hour battery time. In other usage, it's about 9-10 hour, though I never had the chance to exhaust the battery. :)

5. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

A little OT but man, movies are freaking long these days. The new Transformers is 165 minutes.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

That's nothin'… I watched Oliver Stone's "JFK" on my 11" MBA the other day. It is 206 minutes! (actually I fell asleep and watched the rest of it the next day) :D