New MBA 12" coming anytime soon?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Grassgreen, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Grassgreen macrumors regular

Need a new laptop. Wait for 16th to see whats brewing at Apple or get one now and be done with it?

2. thedeske macrumors 6502a

This close, you'd be ill advised to buy before seeing the new toys.
    4 days

3. Woochoo macrumors 6502

As I said to the other guy (who was asking almost the same), wait, its just 4 days and then you decide what to do depending on the situation (if they give some info about Airs or not).

It's me or it's becoming a lil crazy, that people can't even decide if waiting less than a week or not?

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

I'm picking a surprise here; 12" MacBook Air with Retina Screen!

Check out all the 11" MBAs in the refurb stores... they're clearing out stock.

It's coming, it's coming!!:D

:apple:

5. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/13/no-retina-macbook-air-oct-16-event/

6. moxxey macrumors regular

You can't need it *that* desperately, however the need. The 16th announcement is in 3 days! Anyone can wait 3 days.

But, no way is the announcement going to contain any MBP/Air release as these will be saved for Broadwell, which isn't due until 2015. It's coming, but probably not until next Easter at the earliest.

7. Woochoo macrumors 6502

I hope you're right, because it would mean that Apple ain't gonna use the Core M (that performs almost the same as the actual 4200U but with better performance in GPU, which will be more than needed if they put retina), and they'd go with the mid range Broadwell.

8. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

So glad I found this thread. I was wondering when the Air will be getting Retina. I have a 15 MBP. I'm tired of lugging this thing around everywhere I go. I plan to keep this at home as my desktop and hopefully get the MBA to travel with.
    I'm excited!

9. TheUnforgiven macrumors member

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

11. Republius macrumors member

I am a relatively new Apple customer, with an iPhone 4GS in-hand that I recently received while awaiting to replace my 15-year-old Dell laptop with the purported Apple MacBook Air Retina. So I am trying to do my homework, as well as remain patient.

It seems Apple uses John Paczkowski and his recode.net web site to leak information as necessary; and recently he claimed Apple would not be announcing the Apple MacBook Air Retina on October 16. Jack G. March, who seems to have solid sources within the Apple supply chain, has also claimed it is highly unlikely Apple announces the MacBook Air Retina on October 16. But now Digitimes claims Taiwanese manufacturers are shipping the product in quantities large enough that it will be announced on October 16. The other factor lending credence to the latter report is that there seems to be significant current downward price pressure on previous generation MacBook Airs in the marketplace.

Obviously we simply need to wait a day to find out who is correct. But I am fascinated to wonder what long-time Apple observers make of the situation. Was the Paczkowski take Apple-planted misdirection in order to allow for the event tomorrow to shock the world as to the next generation MacBook Air? Or are the MacBook Air Retina shipments, which I find hard to fathom as phantom, slowly building and not large enough to meet anticipated demand such that Apple will indeed need to hold off announcing this new generation product in order to avoid undercutting sales of existing MacBook Airs during the crucial back-to-school and holiday shopping seasons?

12. TheUnforgiven macrumors member

Maybe Apple will showcase the Retina Air, like they did with the Mac Pro last year.

24 hours left :)

13. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Very hit or miss. However, the refurb Apple Store is currently packed with 2014 Airs, which always points to a new model being released. Whether it's a new 12" Retina model or just another refresh though is the question.

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

ill take this.....gives me time to sell this one :p

15. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

What I make of the situation: Apple never leaked anything to this Paczkowski guy.

16. Republius macrumors member

Again, I am new to all of this. But I see plenty of references online that Apple has leaked information to Paczkowski in the past in order to manage expectations. He is seemingly considered a very reliable source according to Apple watchers.

Of course it is possible that there is a kernel of truth in both what Digitimes and Paczkowski claim. The latter could be correct that there will be no reference at the event tomorrow to the next generation MacBook Air; and the former could be correct that shipments of the next generation MacBook Air have begun (even though they might be incorrect in claiming the product will be referenced at the event tomorrow). Given how high the demand will be for the next generation MacBook Air, it seems plausible that months of production will need to be in inventory before Apple can announce its availability (so as not to undermine current sales of previously released MacBook Air iterations).

17. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Tony78228

so glad this announcement is tomorrow. I just now read that DigiTimes says Apple will introduce a new macbook air with retina tomorrow. and also something about a new apple logo design. this whole week I've been holding off on getting a macbook air, and what perfect timing, today I was bumped up in credit by barclays.

18. tawfiqmp macrumors member

tawfiqmp

God, I'm in desperate need of a new laptop. I really hope they do announce this thing tomorrow (today). It would be awesome if the battery life is close to the current Airs around 12 hours.

19. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Don't ever dare to say this here... You'll be bombarded with "Buy now" replies :D

20. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Well it is a good time to make a decision! Today we'll find out what's coming down the pipe and if there aren't any new laptops then you can feel secure in getting what's available right now.

21. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

From what I've read, the rumored 12" MacBook retina won't be making an appearance at the Oct. 16th event and most likely won't come out until early next year when the new broadwell chips are ready. So if you really need a laptop now, I wouldn't wait.

I'm in he market for a new computer too. Torn between one of the supposedly new retina iMacs & this rumored 12" MacBook with a retina display.

I can afford to wait tho.

22. cityhopper macrumors newbie

cityhopper

The "Buy Now" crowd was right. No new MBA announcement.

23. tawfiqmp macrumors member

tawfiqmp

I think I'm just gonna wait it out. I've waited this long.

24. Woochoo macrumors 6502

Thanks Captain Obvious... but the point is that we had to wait til the Keynote to know it, so you only can say that after seeing the Keynote, which is pointless.
    Now he can freely buy a MBA if he wants to, there's nothing wrong about it.