New MBA 13" Bootcamp help

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rcmorgan540, Jul 26, 2011.

1. rcmorgan540 macrumors member

Hello,
    I am now on my 2nd new air. The first one had a bad backlit keyboard. I am wandering what your process was for installing Windows 7. I have created a disk image (ISO) that is bootable on an external USB HDD.

1. I ran bootcamp assistant
    2. It kept locking up on Windows Support Files
    - I realize it is large but I have a massive connection (45 mbit)
    3. I went ahead and skipped the support files and made the partition of 35 gig
    4. When booting in to the installer, it would not install on the partition boot camp creaed b/c it was formatted FAT32 as opposed to NTFS. When I tried to use the windows util to reformat, it would not allow it.

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone have a link for a step by step FAQ?

I just got the replacement MBA from Apple today and want to do it right.

Thanks in advance!

2. rcmorgan540 thread starter macrumors member

3. KPOM macrumors G5

It worked fine for me. Make sure you are attempting to format the right partition. You need to do that from within the Windows Setup utility (not from Disk Utility in OS X). I'd suggest holding down the option key while rebooting. Select the Windows CD icon to make sure it properly loads the setup software. Then Setup should begin and give you the option to format the drive and install Windows.

4. turbotoes macrumors regular

Make sure you select the "bootcamp" partition and then you should be able to click format.
    It took me nearly four hours to download the 680mb of window support files, even for my connection that is slow! So maybe there is a problem at apples end?

5. rcmorgan540 thread starter macrumors member

I think :apple: is just trying to tell you that putting Win 7 on your machine is like putting diamonds on a pig ... oh and letting you "get used to going slow"

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

The process was very automated for me. Bootcamp created the bootable USB key, copied the Windows install files from the ISO file, downloaded the Win7 drivers, and rebooted. When it reboots into the Win7 setup utility, it will tell you it can't because the drive is not formatted NTFS. You need to use the advanced options to format that partition. Once you do that, the setup utility will let you proceed.

After you reboot into Win7, go into the WindowsSupport folder of the USB installer key and run the setup.exe. It will automatically install all the drivers for you. Cake. :D

7. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Is the USB things something that only works with 2011 MBA - I have a 2010 and no option for USB comes up? What is the version/build no of BCA or does it somehow detect the model of the MBA?

8. gorleegor macrumors newbie

The BCA in 2011 MBA is 4.0.1 which has create USB key option while 2010 MBA is only worked with 4.0 BCA which doesn't have that option. The usb install key which made by 4.0.1 BCA does not work with 2010 MBA. Hope that help.

9. Nioxic macrumors regular

what i did was:

running bootcamp assistant.

plugged in my usb key (an 8gb) after i had moved my windows 7 image from my desktop to the NAS

then i flagged all 3 options in the bootcamp assistant, and clicked next.. and waited

then i rebooted and installed it etc.

eventually i got into windows. in there i had to open the USB pen and go inot the.. was it apple or support folder and there was an installer for the drivers etc. it all went smoothly.

Then i realised i cba with more windows licencing (costs a fortune!) so i uninstalled it.. but it worked nicely :p

this was with a 2011 MBA running lion

10. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Why are Apple preventing 2010 owners from using this option.

It seems there are 2 versions of Lion?

I'm on 10.7.1 with 4.0 BCA

Looks like 2011 MBA owners have 4.0.1 BCA? What version of Lion is that?

Seems a very odd way for Apple to design things.

Is there a a problem with the MBA 2010 and a new Firmware required?

Will it be addressed in 10.7.2 ?

11. StuR macrumors newbie

The 2010 MBA's used an old version of EFI that didn't support booting from Windows media directly. Apple updated the EFI firmware on the 2011 MBA's to fix this.
    I believe there is a firmware update for the 2010 MBA EFI out on Apples web site. Try it and let us know if it fixes your problem (under Lion with newer BCA).

12. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

My MBA has the same Firmware version MBA31.0061.B01 as on the Apple website. Unless there is a later one somewhere.

What is the version on the new Lions?

13. StuR macrumors newbie

mba41.0077.b00

14. englishman macrumors 6502a

englishman

Thanks. So the newer versions of Lion must detect the firmware version when it runs and display alternative options in the (later) BCA for creating a windows bootdisk. Lion must install different version of BCA 4.0 v 4.0.1 depending on the firmware - very odd.

So it looks as though Lion updates won't fix this as I guess they don't release firmware updates with OSX updates eg 10.7.2 or 3.

Guess us 2010-ers will have to wait for the firmware update or maybe fiddle around with Refit. I'd rather wait I think.

Or maybe sell my 2010 and buy a 2011. Not sure its worth it although the backlit keyboard ...

Anyone know if/when Apple might release a firmware update.