New MBA 13 maxed out, freezes up with different colors!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rickhorn, Nov 15, 2010.

1. rickhorn macrumors member

rickhorn

Anyone experienced before? I remember there is a thread discussing this kind of display issue but I didn't found it.

Syndrome: running regular applications (e.g. word, iworks, etc) suddenly system freezes up. The screen is blank with different colors, from purple, light blue, dark, yellow, etc.

Question:

1. is this OS level issue? or hardware issue like display panel?
    2. I book an appointment tomorrow morning. Do I have a chance to replace it with a brand new one?

Thanks. :)

2. KPOM macrumors G5

It isn't quite the same issue I had. Mine would simply not wake up if it went to sleep, even if I had programs running. It would just show a black screen, with the backlight on. Sometimes it would perk up by itself. Other times a few keystrokes or closing and reopening the lid would do it. Other times it required a power down, and one time I spent nearly 20 minutes trying to get it to power back up. I have no idea if it's hardware or software related. In any case, I did get a replacement.

That said, all these reports of faulty MacBook Airs worry me.

3. foiden macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you want to backup your data, just in case. However, if there are some defects, the good news is that they'll resolve those for free. I can't imagine them not sorting them all out within the first year of included Applecare service. Still, I understand it would suck, if you're mid travel and an issue arises.

4. rickhorn thread starter macrumors member

rickhorn

today i went to an apple store, got mba replaced...so far so good.

5. teski macrumors regular

Great to hear Rick. My first maxed out MBA had a screen issue so Apple had another one shipped from China. I'm typing on the new as we speak and it's working great.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

7. Appleind macrumors regular

Appleind

So far so good but so many reported defects is making me wonder :confused: