New MBA 13 or MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtntrance, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mtntrance macrumors member

I can't decide if I should keep the new MBA 13 w256 SSD or get the MBP with the hi res option display. I have a mini I use as a server and I don't game or do much photo or movie editing. I primary surf, word process and use my computer network as a source for my home stereo. I don't travel much so while the form factor is nice on the air with the SSD i can't help but wonder if I will be off with the option to upgrade RAM later and enjoy the larger screen. I plan to keep either machine for 3 years + Its like $300 more to move up to a pro 15 with hi res display.

2. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

I'd say 15" MacBook Pro Hi - Res, you wont regret the larger screen real estate and the discrete graphics that come with it.

If you can hold out until late September the new redesigned 15" MBP's might be out...

Apple Finishing Up Work on an Ultra-Thin 15" Mac Notebook

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/26/apple-finishing-up-work-on-an-ultra-thin-15-notebook/

3. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

It really boils down to your preference.

The new MacBook Air offers a lot of the niceties of the MacBook Pro, such as the backlit keyboard for example. It also has a sleek form factor, and the same screen resolution as the 15-inch MacBook Pro (1440x900). It does however have a lower-end Intel Core series processor (a ULV model to be exact, or "ultra low voltage"), but it still performs decently.

The 15-inch MacBook Pro on the other hand offers a quad core processor, discrete graphics processing capabilities, an optional high resolution display in both glossy and matte finishes (with a resolution of 1680x1050), better audio quality (due to the small subwoofer that is built in on the higher end MacBook Pros), and you can choose to upgrade both the hard disk and the memory down the road if you need to.

For web browsing, word processing, and other light tasks the MacBook Air is a perfectly capable machine. The MacBook Pro would be a bit overkill in terms of specifications but it's also likely to last you a lot longer because of that.

Hope that helps, have a great day. :)

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

for your needs it seems to me like an ipad would be fine. seriously. that's what i use most of the time. hook up a bluetooth keyboard to the iPad and you are set. of course you need a computer at some point, so it wouldn't hurt to get an mba 11" or some kind of refurb.

the 15" is really cool, but way overpowered for what you are talking about.

5. mtntrance thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the input...

The MBP 15 hi res option does seem to have a longevity benefit in that the more powerful processor and RAM upgrade options will enable better performance on future OSX and apps. I guess it really comes down to form factor and screen preference.

I also have an gen 1 iPad and I use Quicken Essentials a lot. I don't like surfing on the iPad. Its significantly slower than a laptop. I find I use my iPad primary as an e-reader and as a portable music source due to its digital out with a camera>usb>external DAC. One thing I found fustrating with my old iMac 3.06 from 2008 before I got rid of it was that opening imovie took forever. I tried haven't imovie on a MBA 13 yet.

Having a mac mini as a server already makes having the limited storage of the MBA feasible but its also hooked up to a TV which is a hassle to use.

The one thing I do not like about the MBA 13 is the the screen color seems to have a pink tint when viewed during the day and I have the supposedly better Samsung or LTH display. I believe the color rendering on the MBP is going to be better even though pixel counts will be equivalent. The MBA 13 screen color does however seem to improve and be satisfactory when viewing at night.

I am tempted to go to the apple store and by a high end MBP 15 just to have both and compare but the high end version at the store that qualifies for a return is definiterly not the one I would want to ultimately keep at $2500. When buying a MBP 15 I would get the $1700 version and then CTO upgrade to the hi res screen.

Decisions decision and such a luxury problems.